Old Well

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by msquick, Mar 22, 2005.

1. msquick

msquick New Member

We're fencing in some property for cattle and looking at water systems. There's an old well we'd like to use but the pipe is rusted and we're not sure how to replace it. There's also an old water system in place but I couldn't give you the specs, so I'll wait to ask on that one. In the meantime, any ideas?

2. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

3. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Attempt to determine if there is water in the well and how much if so.

4. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

first get a trash pump and pump the well dry (if you can) easy to inspect the inner casing. as it fills up note how long to recharge the water .then send a sample of water in for testing.microbes in the water will harm the cattle. might also do a chemical test . if the water is potable then go ahead and look at relining if needed and resurecting or replacing the pump. if the water is no good then you need to look at making it right or decomissioning the well. remember ,wells are a direct route to aquifers and need to be treated with care.

5. msquick

msquick New Member

You'll have to excuse me, I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to this. I'm just trying to help my father with all this.
    The actual pipe that comes out of the ground is pretty rusted. That's all I can see. If we can get to the water I'll be sure we test it first. I'll have to get more detail from Dad before I can provide more info. But in the meantime, someone said it was easy to replace the pipe. How do we go about doing that? It's about thirty feet deep if I remember correctly.

6. msquick

msquick New Member

Okay, it's just the outside pipe sticking out of the ground, and yes, I can see water in it. I just don't know if the pipes any good, if so, what kind of pump could be used. We're working on a limited budget here. hanks for any help.

7. mohillbilly

mohillbilly Well-Known Member

I suggest using 3/4 or 1" schedule 40 pvc pipe for your pipe down the hole. As far as a pump is concerned, I suggest an above ground jet pump. Just make sure the pump can lift the water at your stated water depth and supply enough to satisfy your needs.

Otherwise an in ground pump could be used, however that is a much more expensive alternitive.

8. msquick

msquick New Member

I'd been reading alot online and that was all I could come up with. Hearing a second opinion makes me feel much more comfortable. Thanks again.