Old TV disposal

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by geo in mi, Nov 14, 2017 at 7:00 AM.

1. geo in mi

geo in mi Well-Known Member Supporter

Kids gave me a new wide-screen TV, which left me with a perfectly good working 27" RCA that never, ever needed any repair whatever, for nearly twenty years. Now, what to do with it? I'll put it on Craigslist, for free and see if anyone is interested, but I think it's going to the transfer station anyway. I don't think church rummage sales, nor thrift shops, nor Goodwill take TV'S any more. And this thing never needed one ounce of repair. Not like years gone by, huh? TV repairman was a pretty good job.....

geo

2. alleyyooper

alleyyooper keeper of the bees Staff Member Supporter

Good Will and Salvation army both take old electronics here, working or non working. They have crews that repair and rebuild them at GoodWwill.

Maybe yours don't take them call and ask where they will.
    Is it analog and need a box?

:D Al

3. MichaelZ

MichaelZ Well-Known Member Supporter

I would put it along the roadside with a FREE - IT WORKS! sign. This is how we got rid of one of our old sets. And we live out in the sticks. If you give it away, someone will take it, regardless of what it is! I have even gotten rid of scrap metal that way.

anniew likes this.
  4. Esteban29304

Esteban29304 Well-Known Member

I know the feeling. Just junked 2 nice TV's. It is a shame to have to throw good TV's away, but hardly anyone wants them. They are fine on cable/satellite , but need converter boxes for local channels.

RichNC likes this.
  5. In The Woods

In The Woods Well-Known Member

This type a thing is a big issue around here.

When we got our first flat screen TV I needed to get rid of the monster 32” CRT type TV. I saved it until our Township’s annual clean up day (where there is a $20 fee) and took it along. They refused to take it. I asked what I was supposed to do with it and they just shrugged their shoulders. This annual cleanup was started years ago to stop people from throwing junk and appliances down over the bank on the back roads.

There are no recycling places anywhere around here let alone one that will take something like a TV.

So it still lays under the end of the barn where it has been for years now.

6. hunter63

hunter63 Well-Known Member

Seems like a big waste.....But older heavy TV's ....

Can't sell them, no one wants them...everyone has 4 or 5'
    Want ads for GAW free....same thing....
    Can't really put out them on the curb...many that do, get smashed....and YOU have mess.
    Around here, Best Buy will take them if you buy a new TV...if not, you have pay.
    Goodwill hasn't taken any for a long time...
    City has a recycling center....that is crowded, so you wait in line....(I usually do this...and gather up as many as I can)
    So......
    Alleyyooper..seems you have a way to get rid of them.....
    What's your address....

RichNC likes this.
  7. Nimrod

Nimrod Well-Known Member

I don't dispose of CRT TVs unless they are not working. Mom lived through the depression and I learned her, "Use it up, wear it out, make do, or do without" attitude.

I bought an agile modulator for $30 off Ebay. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=blonder+toung+am60-550&_sacat=0

You can use this to transmit a weak analog signal. This web site explains how https://antiqueradio.org/HomeTVTransmitter.htm There is a link to a site where a guy explains how to make a transmitter antenna out of a piece of wire and a piece of coax. The signal is weak enough that it doesn't make it off my 5 acres so the FCC doesn't get upset.

I can put the signal from my digital to analog converter box, DVD player, VCR, lazer disc player, or computer into the modulator and broadcast it to the TVs in the barn, bedroom, and garage. Very handy if I want to watch the Vikings beat up on Green Bay while I am working in the barn of garage.

These old TVs are free on Craigs List so I can get another if a current one dies. If I need to dispose of one, the transfer station charges $10.

8. Lookin4GoodLife

Lookin4GoodLife Well-Known Member

That's pretty much what we do with *anything* that we're getting rid of. We own a vacant lot across town in a not so great section, but it's a heavily trafficked street. We put pretty much anything out there, go back by there in a half hour and it's gone. I like Nimrod's idea though, and I'm going to look into that. :)

9. wdcutrsdaughter

wdcutrsdaughter Well-Known Member

Years back I got rid of some electronics (old vacuums, tv, printer) at best buy - they "recycle" them, whatever that means exactly I don't know.

People around here throw tvs on the side of the road sometimes - the wild animals hate that, they despise trash.:confused:

10. haypoint

haypoint Well-Known Member Supporter

Last Christmas, I bought my mother a new tv. Recently, she took it to Salvation Army, but they refused it. A friend had one of those monster tv, about 3 feet tall, wide and deep. No one wanted it.
    In Canada, there are restrictions on disposal of solid waste. Each day, huge loads of Toronto garbage are shipped into Michigan for disposal. Computers, radios, TVs and other electronics are shipped from Canada to China. In China, the electronics are piled high and set on fire to burn off the plastic then refined to separate the copper, silver and other metals. Billowing black smoke extends high into the sky.

11. hunter63

Anything "Except" old TV's....LOL

So, if anyone comes by my "Place" ......The old TV's, dirty diapers, Bush Lite cans .....all get tossed into the ravine...
    A 30" triangular shaped picture tube, (heavy) washed all the way down to the lower field....the rest is scattered all the way down.

12. mnn2501

mnn2501 Dallas

Local Boyscouts were taking donations for a 'garage sale' and put out a flyer that they would come and collect it. I got rid of a working behemoth of a TV that had been collecting dust. Not sure if they sold it or donated it to goodwill (which is what they said they would do with any items that didn't sell)

13. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

The last time we bought a TV we had it delivered and they took the old one with them when they left.

hunter63 likes this.
  14. hunter63

Y'all know where most or the electronics end up, right?
    They are bid on, purchased, shipped to many poor countries......for recyclings.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. montysky

montysky Well-Known Member

know any kids that could use it to play games on or watch movies?

16. alleyyooper

alleyyooper keeper of the bees Staff Member Supporter

Big huge Good will store in Flint Michigan. Trying to remember the street name but can't but know it is between Dort and Center streets off Davison road, south east of the old AC plant site.

:D Al

17. geo in mi

geo in mi Well-Known Member Supporter

Hmmm...my transfer station doesn't list old TV's, so I'll have to call. This thing is so heavy I only want to move it one time. If I leave it out by the street, and it rains, then no one will even look at it. I only want to load it up once to transport it. Maybe a nursing home, but wait, they're busy taking in last year's old rancid deer meet that the hunters are taking out of their freezers to make room for this year's hunt....... :) :) :)

geo

18. Esteban29304

Esteban29304 Well-Known Member

I guess I am lucky, here in Florida. My county waste & recycling center takes them at NO charge. One of my TV's was a very nice TV with the most features available, at the time. It cost $800 new, & never stopped working in over 20 years .

19. hunter63

You are correct....why would a nursing home want some one's junk.....?
    A new 32" flat screen is about $100 bucks......?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insign...lh4g4DCCdsLTykM8oOkpsSnqdG7x7fDxoCrUQQAvD_BwE