old tire raised beds

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by goodoldreb, Jun 4, 2004.

1. goodoldreb

goodoldreb Well-Known Member

Hi Folks, A friend told me today about using old tires as a raised bed.they are supposed to be good because of the way they hold water. just put in potting soil etc. plant the mater or pepper or cucumber,squash water and there you go.Has anyone else heard of this? GOR.

2. mtfarmchick

mtfarmchick Well-Known Member

I have planted potatoes and tomatoes in them where my soil wasn't tilled well enough. I think they work pretty well.

3. Gailann Schrader

Gailann Schrader Green Woman

4. TnMtngirl

TnMtngirl Well-Known Member Supporter

I used 4 old tires to plant strawberries in this spring.I had not tried it before this,I hope they do well.I put black plastic under them,and they are on a hillside so I think they will drain well enough.Mary

5. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

hello from montana! my grandfather in michigan used to grow potatoes in tires. he would fill one tire with soil and plant the potatoe. at the plant got bigger he would add a second tire and more soil up to three or four tires. in the fall at harvest time he would just kick over the tires and harvest the spuds without having to dig! i do this too and it works great!

6. Patti

Patti Well-Known Member

Get this! After reading this thread, I went and posted a message at our local classified ads online saying FREE TIRES WANTED. Well, a farmer sent me an email telling my husband and I that he would PAY us to come pick up his old tractor tire - he's going to give us $30. and we will have a nice little garden area out of the deal. :D

He said the tire is in good condition - he just didnt want to pay to dump it - it would have cost him a bundle.

I figure if I dont like it for a garden area, the kids can have a giant sand box next year. :) LOL!