Old Time Remedy question?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Kenneth in NC, Dec 6, 2004.

1. Kenneth in NC

Kenneth in NC Well-Known Member

I was reading through a ancient text on herbal remedies and came across what is touted as a cure for....

Well I want to hear what you think it will or might cure.

Catnip Tea and Yellow root mixed and one cup to be drunk per week for five weeks and then __________ will be cured.

So what is it that catnip tea and yellow root will cure?

2. cc-rider

cc-rider Baroness of TisaWee Farm Supporter

Hmmmm....catnip tea will probably calm you down or put you to sleep. Yellow root.... not sure what that is?! When my kids were little and coming down with sniffles, I'd give them catnip and cherry bark tea. They loved it and never were sick.

I give. What is the answer??

3. Tater'sPa

Tater'sPa Well-Known Member

I'm not sure of that combination together,
    Both are said to releive stomach disorders. The Cherokee & Catawbas used yellow root for many reasons including stomach ulsers.
    Some of the old timers around here claim yellow root is a remedy for diabetes and high blood pressure.

(from the web)
    Yellow root contains berberine which is anti-inflammatory, astringent, hemostatic, antimicrobial, anticonvulsant, immunostimulant, uterotonic and can produce a transient drop in blood pressure. In addition it stimulates the secretion of bile and bilirubin which may be helpful in cirrhosis of the liver.

As to your riddle of what it will cure...hmm I'm curious too :)

4. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

Ulcers or anxiety. Catnip is also a fever reducer and pain killer...

If catnip calms and yellow root reduces blood pressure and stimulates bile secretion, I'm guessing this is a cure for ulcers...

Although, if you think about it, after five weeks just about anything should be cured...and only one cup a week???

Sarah

5. ginnie5

ginnie5 wife,mom,taxi driver,cook Supporter

catnip is good for fevers and babies with colic. Yellow root I've always heard is good for high bp.

6. kentuckyhippie

kentuckyhippie Well-Known Member Supporter

since catnip is good for stomach ailments and yellowroot is antibiotic and also helps stop bleeding I'm guessing it was treatment for a bleeding ulcer. yellowroot was once though to be a cancer cure so it might also be for stomach or bowel cancer

7. Snugglebunny

Snugglebunny Well-Known Member

I have to laugh at this thread. So far, everyone has said Catnip is good for just about anything. Will it cure a brain tumor? How about stretch marks? This is precicely why I don't do herbals. Not sure anyone really knows for sure what's going on with them....when my doc tells me there's been a 10 year study on it, then I'll think about it.

8. cc-rider

I think there have been LOTS of studies done on many herbals, and they can do what they say. I can't vouch for all of them, but I DO know that St. John's Wort has done MIRACLES for me in the past.

I also know that my grandmother was given 6 months to live, and lived more than 10 times that many, using burdock, rhubarb root, and slippery elm bark. And pain-free,too, even though she was told she'd have terrible pain before she died. I believe she died, eventually, of old age (90) and altzheimers, not cancer. The only "pills" she ever took, were herbals.

9. Kenneth in NC

Kenneth in NC Well-Known Member

You guys are great. Yes separetly colic and as antibiotic but together catnip tea and yellow root is supposed to be THE CURE for Type 2 Diabetes.

In this old Tome they talk of 25 out of 45 tested patients having been cured by this remedy. I'd like to see a test done in modern times and see if it would still produce the same results.

My wife works with a lady that says her Mother tried this cure 3 years ago and hasn't took any diabetic medication since then and no more high sugar readings. This same lady uses many herbal remedies on her family and said her out of pocket doctor bills have been under $1000 for past 4 years. Her mom has been teaching her the "old" ways.

Oh to Snugglebunny
    ...when my doc tells me there's been a 10 year study on it, then I'll think about it.

Many good and reliable drugs have been passed over because of lack of public interest. Only quick selling and high priced drugs gets the green light first on group testing.

Besides If it CURES an illness Where's the Profit?

Personally I'm for what works. :D

10. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

Then I pray that you never find yourself in a position where "pharmaceuticals" can't help you and the doctors send you home to die. This happened to my mother, but she managed to live for over four years when she'd been given less than six months, by taking Essiac daily. Look it up sometime... nary a "pharmaceutical" in sight, and the pharmaceutical industry (and many doctors) have been trying to quash it for years.

Catnip is an all-round tonic. It's got excellent properties that cure and help in the management of all sorts of ailments. Just because you don't believe it, doesn't mean it isn't so.

Tracy

11. Ole Man Legrand

Ole Man Legrand Well-Known Member

Does any one know where you can get yellow root. I have heard that it grows in creeks. Do you boil it to make a tonic.Thanks

12. Snugglebunny

I agree, if there was studying done, testing, regulation, etc the same way regular drugs or OTC drugs have, I would most certainly try more herbal remedies. However, there is no regulation. There are no studies. Facts are, just because it's 'herbal' doesn't mean it's safe.

What I'm seeing are people who are popping herbal 'remedies' just as much, if not more, than those who are taking regular drugs. Who's to say some of those 'herbals' may cause cancer, alzhiemer's, or something just as much as regular drugs?

I'd like to KNOW - without doubt - that what I am taking has what it claims, does what it claims, and someone knows what they're doing. Fact is, there is little way of knowing that the catnip in the bottle is actually catnip. It could be oregano or soemthing for all we know...no one is looking over their shoulders to make sure the company is doing things correctly.

For the record, I don't take regular drugs much either. I do like to do things as naturally as I can - i.e. baking soda for indegestion, lemon and honey (with a bit of whiskey perhaps?) for a sore throat, mint tea for tummy troubles...time honored remedies that aren't going to cause serious problems.

13. reese

reese Well-Known Member

http://www.kcweb.com/herb/goldenseal.htm

it is also suggested to use toppically on newborns unbillical cords (have used it and it works much better than "western meds" suggestions in my opinion.)

it's also in the ear drops I use for after candling and for ear infections.

14. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

Ummm...what *kind* of mint tea? By the way, the other name for catnip is CatMINT...

Interesting that you swear by studied remedies and yet the FDA is having issues over drugs that should never have been put on the market.

YES - herbs are drugs. No, there is very little regulation. However, there are a lot of supporting documents and lots and lots of evidence and informatino as far as how much to take, for what reasons, and for how long. The FDA didn't approve it, but that doesn't mean that it isn't safe in the recommended doses and it doesn't mean that it doesn't actually work.

Sarah
    (beginning to learn more about homeopathic medicines, but definitely a firm believer in herbs and a non-believer in doctors...)

15. cc-rider

Really? I thought those were two different things. Geesh, live and learn.

Chris - also a HUGE believer in herbal medicines.

16. Snugglebunny

Geez - I wrote this big long thing, and hit the wrong button. Darnit.

Actually the tea I buy is peppermint tea.

And I never said I 'swear' by regular drugs. Just the opposite. I try to avoid any remedies if I can, and try to let my body heal the way it was meant to. When I do take something, I try to take whatever is most natural, more food-based remedies - things I have every day - i.e. lemon juice and honey, baking soda, peppermint tea. Often, a remedy for a headache or something is simply eating something. I can't count the number of times I've cured a headache or stomach problem by drinking a hot cup of regular decaf tea.

What I have a problem with is how any joe-shmo can produce an 'herb', become an 'herbalist' or claim to be an 'expert'. I have a problem with how regular drugs, like Ibuprofin or Pepto Bismol, have had to go through rigorous, decades-long testing and regulation before hitting the shelves, but anything can be called 'herbal' or something and be sold - sometimes causing dire consequences.

I also have trouble with people claiming information works because they have hundreds year-old studies on the subject. Facts are, our lives have changed drastically in the past 100 years, even the past 50 years. Our lives, our bodies take in many more synthetics, many more man-made products than they did 100 years or even 50 years ago. There is little we can do to avoid them now, and indeed it isn't always prudent to do so. Something may have been perfectly safe 100 years ago, but may not be now since our lifestyles are different, medicine is different, doctors are different.

Not claiming drugs are safer than herbs or vice versa, just saying Herbs should be treated the same as drugs - regulation, testing, drug interaction warnings, etc.

17. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

I know what you mean, in theory, but I prefer to trust my own research rather than an organization that ok'd thalidomide.

I don't need a government organization to tell me that something is acceptable before I use it. Least of all drugs. I've learned from my grandmother, my father, and from years and years of my own reading and research, what to use for what. Do I scorn doctors and contemporary medicine? Absolutely not, in the right situation. But I think that we run to the doctor for far too many things.

And for the record, those packaged "teas" that you buy in the grocery store may be "herbal" but they're not what I would use. You're right -- they could have anything in them. More importantly, you don't know how long they've been sitting on the shelf. If you buy your herbs rather than grow your own, then buy them from a reputable dealer that you KNOW or who has a widely known reputation of good quality. However, the best way to know what is in your herbs is to grow them yourself. There are a lot of charlatans in this world -- not the least of which are some who claim to be "herbologists".

I have to respectfully disagree, though, with your seemingly blind faith that if the FDA says it's okay, it must be. My experience has been different.

Tracy

18. Snugglebunny

Didn't say that, either. Saying I don't have faith in much of anything or anyone other than God. What I am saying is that SOME regulation is better than NO regulation. We all still have to use our own heads and hearts with things.

My mom was put on Dilantin to hlp with her recent onset of Epilepsy. Doc kept increasing her dosage when he didn't think it was working well enough... Ended up putting her on 700 mgs instead of the usual max of 300 - she now has a muscle disorder that gives her parkinsons-like tremors and has to have therapy to correct it - because the doc apparently didn't read the little blip that says "May cause tremors if overdosed".

At the same time, however, a family friend has been given 6 mos to live for many, many years now. Somehow, with meds and the Grace of God, she's still alive - with health problems - and has defied the doc's time limits by 5 years and counting.

I'll give an example. There was a time when the word 'organic' wasn't regulated. Anyone and anything could claim it - it had no meaning. I avoided 'organics' at the time because of it. Now, there is regulation, inspections, etc and I have no problem buying them.

Same holds true for herbals. Fact is, most americans don't have an 'herbalist' they go to and trust. They don't grow their own medicinal herbs, most don't know much about herbs at all (unless you count oregano and Thyme). Most just walk into a store blindly because someone told them "This certain herb worked for me" and they buy it. No one tells them the consequences, they rarely understand how important it is. Yet, they'll read the warnings and instructions on the bottles of OTC drugs. I think Herbs should have the same treatment.

I don't buy the 'herbal medicinal' teas. I buy regular teas. Like Lipton or Bigelow or twinings or Celestial seasonings or something. And like I said, 9 times out of 10 an illness or problem can be remedied by eating properly, sleeping properly and taking care of yourself, or by some safer non-drug or non-herbal food remedy.

So, like I said, I never said I have blind faith in the FDA, but I don't think we should have blind faith in "herbal" remedies either, and I think we need to keep our minds open to understand that few things are really safe.

19. cc-rider

Lipton, Bigelow, et al are not herbal teas. They are black tea with flavorings. Not the same thing.

I can't recall the exact passage (and I'm at work so I can't look it up), but doesn't the bible say something about "being given every herb for its purpose"? I don't recall it saying "and I give you each a bottle of Ibuprofen..."

:haha:

20. Snugglebunny

Actually, they aren't just flavorings... there are actually peppermint and spearmint leaves in my tea. Read the ingredients... there are few artificial things in most tea. Even regular, black tea is beneficial or 'herbal' since it is actually a plant. This is different from fruit 'infusions' of tea, like "mango passionfruit' or something that have added fruit flavorings.

And I agree, I believe God did put herbs on this earth for a purpose. The problem is, He didn't necessarily give us all the other crap in our lives too - all the man-made junk.

God gave us Tobacco - doesn't mean it's safe to be smoked. Not all 'all natural' things are safe.

The problem I have is that there are no regulations for herbs or herbalists. There is information, but it's like just about anyone can claim something about an herb and it suddenly becomes true.