Old tiller help

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Matt NY, Jun 1, 2004.

1. Matt NY

Matt NY Well-Known Member

My 30 year old Troy Bilt horse isn't so happy. I'm chagrined to say that the gear oil has probably never been topped off. The tine end makes some awful noises. It still runs. I pulled the cover and the drive shaft on the front has some sharp edges on the screw, the oil level was so low that nothing got to the rear. I think I can get life though.

The drive shaft moves back and forth, this is visable from the two pulleys going in and out. If I can keep them back it seems to turn bu hand OK.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

2. Janon

Janon 993cc Geo Metro

30 years is a long time. Bearings and bushings are usually the first to develop 'slop' or 'play'... if you can get those replaced in time, you'll avoid damage to the gears, shafts and casing. Most of these gearboxs are fairly simple to rebuild, and regardless of what make or model, industrial supply houses which specialize in bearings can get you the replacements you need. If you wait too long, the shafts and gears will become damaged... and many times, those will have to be ordered from the dealer who specializes in that particular piece of equipment.

cheers,

3. Darren in TN

Darren in TN Guest

Matt,
    I'm having trouble visualizing what you're saying, but one thing you should definitely check is the bearings. Where there are bearings, there should be minimal 'play' in the shafts, pulleys, and gears. (Forgive me if I sound patronizing-- I don't know how much you know about machinery or how mechanically inclined you are.) Grab onto the various shafts, gears, and worms and see if you can budge them by pushing and pulling in various directions. They should not move much at all in any direction except for rotating as they are designed to do.

When you run low on oil like that you can pretty quickly wreck bearings, and that will make your driven shafts and gears pretty noisy. If you run it with bad bearings you may invite further damage. I'm dealing with this on our tractor now. My final drive bearings are pretty worn out, and if I just let them go pieces of them may break off and get stuck in some of the gearing. That would turn a two-hour, $30 job into a two-day, $300 job for me.

Best of luck to you,
    Darren

4. Darren in TN

Darren in TN Guest

Matt,
    I forgot to mention-- If it is bearings, find yourself a good bearing shop. If you call around to small engine or auto parts stores they can tell you who to go to. It won't matter if those are discontinued 30-year-old bearings, they should be able to cross-reference them or at least measure them and give you a good replacement.

Darren

5. SRSLADE

SRSLADE Well-Known Member

Troy bilt has all the parts. I also think for half the price of a new one they will completly rebuild it like brand new.

6. Matt NY

Matt NY Well-Known Member

Half the price of a new tiller is quite a bit. I don't know if MTD is honoring that. I've been looking at old tiller parts on ebay and looking at the repair manual to see what kind of device holds the shaft in place. The bearings do have wear, but are not shot. I'd like to do the whole thing over. I got another tiller today, it is only 20 years old and still has the original tines. I am sure that I paid more for it than the original owner, a Troy Bilt employee. I wish I bought one when I worked there 10 years ago. My price then was $500! They gave good employee discounts.