Old seed

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by NativeRose, Apr 9, 2005.

1. NativeRose

NativeRose Texas Country Grandma

I finally found the container of seed that I had put aside and then forgot. The seeds are from 2001 and 2002. They have been in an airtight container and look fine. But...Are they any good? Advice anyone? Would I be wasting my time trying to plant them?

2. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes, some will be good I have planted seed that was 5 years old before.I would have a plan B though.

3. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

What kinds of seeds are they? Seed life does depend on the type also.

4. Steph in MT

Steph in MT Well-Known Member

Try test sprouting a few in a moist paper towel. I got some old seeds from a friend and even some 10 yr old ones sprouted! :dance:

5. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

I, too, was going to recommend sprouting some on a damp paper towel to see how many sprout. I've had great success with old seed. Good thing, too, since I find it so hard to walk past seed displays... :haha:

Pony!

6. NativeRose

NativeRose Texas Country Grandma

Oh Pony! Not just the seed displays but the seed catalogs also!!!
    I planted the seed in an experimental area (squash, cantaloupe and cucumber) I do have fresh seed to plant if this doesn't work.

Thanks all for the info. Seed Seed Seed what am I to do with all this seed?

7. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

I have my Shumway catalog sitting in front of me right now... Just in case I forgot something, don'tcha know? ;)

What will you do with all that seed? Plant it, share it, experiment... :) I wound up donating a lot of my seed to a local homeless residence because someone donated a couple of community garden plots to them. Perhaps someone local to you would like some of your abundance?

I couldn't resist starting more seeds today (tomato), and I have to get the Jerusalem artichokes into some sand because I won't be able to get to WI (where I'd intended to plant them) for three weeks. I hope that works...

Also got some horseradish to plant, and some more onions... and potatoes... and... and...

I'd better get off the computer and back outside!

Pony!

8. zel

zel Well-Known Member

You wouldn't believe the number of seed packets I have! I got carried away with my gardening 6 or 7 years ago. Am still using all those seeds. I start them in my greenhouse in peat pots or those little peat cubes that swell up when they
    are watered. I always put in about 3 seeds, and some of them always come up.

9. 3girls

3girls Well-Known Member

There are some people on another forum who start all (except the tiniest) their seeds in a damp paper tower, in a plastic baggie (light-weight, open). Once they have sprouted, they transplant them into pots. Seems to work well for them; they reported using a lot less soil and a lot less seed. I'm enough intrigued to try it myself.

Sure would solve the problem of viability right away.

10. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

I planted my entire garden last weekend with older 1-10 yr old seed, figured I had it, and we have a loooong growing season in TX, so what did I have to lose? So far the lemon cucumbers and the romano pole, and bush lima beans are popping up, so so far so good!

All of the ones that I started in the house in those peat plug thingies are just sitting there, though, don't know what's up with that? I'll see if they do anything this week, and if not will pop some other seeds in there. I was thinking that it would save a lot of time and waiting to plant a bunch of corn and bush beans in them, then you could space without having to thin? I know that beans don't like to transplant, but wanted to experiment and see if I could get away with it if they were in the plugs.

hollym