Old Roy Dog Food!!!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Milking Mom, Dec 4, 2004.

1. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

Well, I helped a guy catch his goats (a couple boer nannys, a spanish nanny and a Nubian) and he enticed them back into the pen with Old Roy Dog Food. When we got them in the pen I said, "Boy good thing you had that dog food, they seemed to like that." and he said, "That's all I ever feed them." I know I looked stupid standing there with my mouth hanging open. :eek: I didn't know how to respond to that so I just....didn't. Have you ever heard of a goat's diet consisting solely of Old Roy Dog Food?

2. trickham

trickham Well-Known Member

Yes....one I gave to the little sister of a friend of mine. They kept her and the dog in the same yard and she learned to eat dog food, so that's what they fed her. Even though i recommended otherwise. She was a fat goat though. Probably not what I would recommend for a serious herd.

3. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

wouldn't recommend it for a dog either. :haha:

It is mainly corn.

4. trickham

LOL. That's true. I wouldn't recommend it for a dog. But corn is the main ingredient in the Purina Dog Chow I feed my dog, and is the second largest ingredient in Iams, the "high end" dog food. Since they do have so much corn, if I had a starving goat and nothing else to feed it, I might try dog food.

5. trickham

On the other side, my dog LOVES the breeder cubes we feed to the cattle. :haha:

6. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

I don't know about goats, but I've known ponies to founder on dog food. There were two ponies, a Shetland mare and her half horse (quarter/arab) daughter, running loose around Northway, Alaska -- Indian village, FAA station. Nobody claimed them, nobody was feeding them, so in the winter when natural feed was scarce they would snitch dog food off people's porches. Folks got aggravated about that, so someone caught them and we ended up with the filly. Her feet took some work, but eventually she was all right. But, I don't think it would be wise to feed large quantities of dog food to animals meant to eat plants.

Kathleen

7. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Feeding your ruminants off label like this, especially with chicken, pig and dog food, is where Mad Cow disease and other prion disease is going to come from. Forget the corn in these feeds, what about the bone and blood meals? Considering the price of dog food, a little education that oats cost less than dog food..........well likely would have fallen on deaf ears anyway! :no: Idiots.

Vicki

8. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

Iams really can't be considered "high end" dog food anymore. True, it is better than anything else you can get from the grocery store. The Iams company actually produces Eukanuba which is considered a "premium food." I'm in the pet industry and my question has always been if you make a good dog food, why do you have the need to make a better quality food and if you make a better quality food why do you still make the inferior stuff. Like with Purina, they make dog chow which is pretty gross stuff. They also make Purina ONE which is comparable, in my opinion, to Iams. Then they make their "premium" brand ProPlan.

I've heard of people feeding Old Roy to goats. The local wildlife rescue feeds Science Diet Lite dog food to squirrels. Look at that ingredient panel. One of the number one ingredients is peanut hulls. Cat food is routinely fed to peafowl and pheasants. I give Nutro Light dog food as a very sporadic treat to my parrots who apparently find it delicious.

9. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

Out of all of our goats, we only have one who likes dog and cat food. She snitches it from the dog and cat whenever she can! She LOVES it! We have to hide their food bowls from her. (We dont have separate fencing, obviously!)
    Of course, ALL the goats try to get into the chicken food. :no:

10. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

Our neighbor complained when we fed our cats and dogs dog food along with their milk...but it was fine that she fed her pony dog food. :confused: :no:

We have a goat nicknamed Kitty. Kitty believes she is a cat, though by now I think she has has figured out she is a goat afterall. She was our only bottle baby this year (I will never let it be just one again) and so she was raised in the barn with our cats. So she slept with our cats, played with the cats, and ate their cat food. If you put the cat food out for the cats she would come running. If you called "here kitty, kitty" she would come running. She would also eat the grain I put out for her, and the Primer 1 our calves get, and the cow feed, and the dairy cow hay, and of course her bottles....she is a fat little bugger. Now she is a goat and with the other doelings.

11. trickham

I raised two bottle babies this year. Never again. They're 7 months old and still don't know they're goats, although they have been with the other goats 4 or 5 months now.

12. Thumper/inOkla.

Thumper/inOkla. Well-Known Member

Please don't accept feeding dog food as ok for herbivores this small seemingly innocent practice is a real and true danger to the safety of our future food suppy. IT IS WRONG TO DO THIS !!!! dog/cat foods have some meat products in the mix, this meat can be from a diseased animal there is no testing for useing animal parts in pet food, ...here is NO justifyable reason for feed dog/cat food like this ever! grain and low quality mixed feed is cheaper than any dog food I have ever seen, I can get cheap dog food for about $10 for 50 lbs and cheap livestock mix is less than $6

PLEASE PLEASE STOP FEEDING DOG FOOD TO PLANT EATING ANIMALS!!!!!

Doing this as almost as bad as cutting up the brain from an animal with mad cow type disease and feeding the brain bits to the plant eating animal, this is how these diseases crossed the line between sheep to cows, years ago, please don't add to the problem.

Igornant habits like this are why the government wants to tag EVERY SINGEL animal in the country and restrict the movement of all farm animals.

Please stop doing this !

13. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

he! he! he!
    Vicki, I read that and started laughing because I knew if you read it too you would have a stroke!!
    I agree with you but I knew you would beat me to posting.
    Dogs are k-9's not browsers.
    I happen to know who makes ole-roy for wally world and they pride themselves for the meat and blood in their dry dog foods.
    I rescued a pig that was being raised on dog food. It isn't even good for them.
    but Goats? NEVER!!!!

14. miclew

miclew Well-Known Member

my goats love dog food and cat food. We give it to them just for a little treat :) My dog loves cat food. My geese love sweet feed. The chickens love cat food. Everyone shares around here. The only animal I have that is picky is the cat. She wants her cat food and nothing else (other than an occasional lizard, snake or mouse)

michele

15. trickham

I would like to reiterate that I agree with those who disagree with the practice of giving dog/cat food to goats. Although I can't say that I wouldn't do it in an EXTREME emergency, with no other options available, feeding animal 'by-products' to ruminants, who did not evolve to eat such things, is what has spread Mad Cow Disease and Scrapie. I definately would not make it the mainstay of their diet, and even as a treat I would severely discourage it.

16. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

I think I should point out that we did not train Kitty to eat cat food and she only nibbled at some every ocne in awhile..it wasn't a mainstay in her diet and she didn't do it for long either.
    She was still being bottle fed and she preferred the cow feed and Primer 1 to the cat food.

It isn't normal practice here.

Hadn't thought about the by-product aspect though.

17. Owlcat

Owlcat Guest

When I saw a story a while back on the net about some hunters who contracted crutzfeld jacob disease(mad cow) from eating squirrel brains, I wondered where in the world squirrels would get the prions...looks like I've got my answer.

18. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

I would wonder why a person would eat squirrel brains.

...speaking of critters eating other animals' foods.

I finally figured out why my cat is always hungry. I came around the corner a few minutes after I had fed her to find our little old english bantam rooster pecking at her food, and her a few feet away looking all sad. I shooed the rooster back and stepped back to watch what would happen. Fancy (cat) started eating again, then the rooster came up, pecked her on the head, and started eating the food! I shooed him back and watched again. Fancy started eating, and this time all the rooster did was dance up to her, "growl" and she backed away. What a terd. I have her food up where he can't get to it now. :no:

19. trickham

My dad keeps a number of free range chickens and my mom has a number of cats. They had to build a special enclosure so the cats could eat in peace without the chickens stealing it all. Although chickens do eat a certain amount of animal protein that ruminants don't, I doubt feeding them cat food is a good idea, as cat/dog food usually contains 'poultry by-products', and one of the leading theories of how Mad Cow Disease and related illnesses got started is that by-products from a certain species were fed back to that same species.

Stealing a little from the cat would probably not hurt anything though.

20. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

Has anyone ever read what is in Poultry feed - you can't get to 30-35% protein and include grains without using animal protein sources?? I wouldn't worry about them eating cat or dog food if you have read whats in their feed. Chickens are OMNIVORES - they eat anything and everything - sort of like most people.

I custom mix my sheep feed and get to around 14.5% digestable protein using just grains, soy meal, and alfalfa pellets. Costs me about 5.85 a 50 lb bag. Can't buy dog food for that price.