Old Remodeled house Pictures?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Jc05, Jan 19, 2007.

1. Jc05

Jc05 Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any before and after pics of old home place type of country houses that you have remodeled????? Especially outside shots. Not fancy Victorian style houses or anything like that, but just old ordinary style houses? We are trying to decide to either fix up our old place or buy something else. I really need some motivation before I start a project like this that would be ongoing.
    Thanks

2. bachelorb

bachelorb Well-Known Member

Well, the most I can offer is the "before shot". Its still ongoing. So far we have gutted the inside and replaced all the electrical and plumbing. abot $600 worth of work, but I also was able to salvage some things from a house that was about to be torn down.

[​IMG]

The frame is roughsawn lumber. Tough as concrete. If you do take up the project, I suggest a framing nailer. They're about $75 from Harbor Freight, but worth its weight in gold. It still won't put nails in all the way, but it does give it a good start.

Good Luck,

3. Jc05

Jc05 Well-Known Member

Looks good!

My delimma, the house is paid for, paid it off in Oct. and we didn't pay alot for it, BUT it was cheap becuase it was very outdated, pretty much everything is straight from the 1930's. IT will need alot of remodelling and I don't really know where to start and once I start, it will be ongoing. Don't know if it wouldn't be easier to keep saving a little more and buy another and sell this one. We can make it work, but it will be work.

4. NWMO

NWMO Well-Known Member

If you are looking to sell the property and turn a profit, some obvious outside "curb" appeal would be an asset. If you are planning on living there as you renovate, I would look at the windows and possibly a paint job or siding for a "revitalized" look......with the window replacement, you could recoup the energy savings while you are there......other cosemetic items inside might be carpeting and flooring and fresh paint....both of which, in the scheme of things are "cheaper" things than approaching kitchen/bath remodels.....

Do you have a before, or "now" pic you could post?

5. bachelorb

bachelorb Well-Known Member

Same with ours, about the same timeframe too. Maybe if you take it room by room, you can make it work. Electricity and plumbing are the big things for us, but also the cheapest. They are both pretty straight forward. If you dont have any experience with it, go to the library and check out the time life book on the subjext your working on.

The good points of our house were the tongue and groove wood floors. They were sagging, so I had to go below in the crawl with a bottle jack and some concrete blocks. After that it was just taking a belt sander and sanding off the paint. So most of the flooring can be saved. All our major plumbing fixtures have been saved except the bathtub. The wife wants a jacuzzi type, so that will be a big expense.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is you can do it with relatively little expense, If your willing to give up the time. We bought ours for $37000 with a barn. I also had to jack up the barn some, but when were through, I think it would bring $80000 easy with about $13000 in materials (including heat and A/C all the kitcken cabinets etc.)

6. Nette

Nette Well-Known Member Supporter

Could you post some pictures of your house from different angles, and maybe we could offer you some ideas?

7. Jc05

Jc05 Well-Known Member

I have a pic saved to a floppy disc, how do i post it here in my message??

8. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

This is what windows and vinyl siding can do.

It cost us a fortune so we only did this after we were sure we wanted to restore instead of tear down and build new.

The windows were very old - panes were loose in the windows, windows loose in the frames. Many were cracked and some were repaired with tape. We could literally drop a screwdriver from inside our bedroom and have it land out in the yard with the window closed, the gaps were that bad. The new windows are Andersen double-pane tilt-out for easy cleaning.

Our house is a late 1880's log cabin with a stick addition and even though it had wood siding it leaked like a sieve (no insulation, caulk, weather barrier).

The vinyl siding was installed on top of the wood siding and has styrofoam like insulation beneath it plus we had them put in a TyVek like barrier to stop drafts in the house. We still have drafts coming up from beneath the house and through the walls but it's a lot better and we're dealing with the residual drafts one by one.

The house sits on a piled rock foundation and there were piled up bricks as an "underpinning" to keep down drafts and hopefully keep out critters. It wasn't very effective at either. The folks that did our siding also built a wood frame below the house and put a vinyl rock-look "foundation" there. It is neater plus it keeps out critters and drafts.

Haven't done anything to the interior yet but getting the place heatable was first on our agenda.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Jc05

Jc05 Well-Known Member

Yep, mine has some unlevel floors, single pane windows that need replacing, asbestos shingle siding. Windows, vinyle siding, and a painted tin roof when it needs a roof would do wonders for the outside appearance. Inside everthing is old and outdated, not in a good "antique kind of way". Cabinets are old wood on wood that don't want to open, faded carpet etc. Dinding room ceiling needs to be replaced. There is a particle board type of ceiling that is sagging in places attached to a nice toungue and groove main ceiling, but the toungue and groove ceiling has cracks and there is little insulation in the attic, so I will probably add another ceiling.

10. Macybaby

Macybaby I love South Dakota Supporter

Oh! you asked for it. I love sharing pictures of my ongoing remodeling nightmare (that is a joke - sort of LOL!!)

From the road
    [​IMG]

Due to exterior problems, we resided the 2 story section, even though eventually we will take it all down and fix the foundation and move windows.

[​IMG]

From the south
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

From the west
    [​IMG]

This is as close to an "after" picture that I have from this angle, showing the addition.
    [​IMG]
    The North (couldn't find a "before" pic) Eventually there will be a patio door on the 2story section and a deck off this side.

[​IMG]

And here is a rendition of what we hope to have when we are all done. Though we may never actually build the attached garage, it's fun to dream. We will do the front porch when we fix the two story section (maybe this summer, maybe not . . .) Though I have plenty of time to change my mind (and design software is fun!)

[​IMG]

And this one is just for the fun of it. This was a year ago, Christmas.

[​IMG]

And about 12 hours later

[​IMG]

I'm excited because DH and I are about to start gutting the laundry room!

Cathy

11. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

If I remember correctly, Roger did take some pictures but quit because it was so depressing. The windows were shot, the electrical was primitive and the decorating was a nightmare.

All of the house was done in DARK brown paneling with the woodwork painted a matching dark brown. The living room carpeting was a combo of orange/brown and yellow. (It looked like someone ate chili and barfed.)

Now all the walls downstairs are white with pale yellow woodwork in the kitchen and a nice soft green in the bathroom. The flooring is laminated oak and light brownish linoleum.

Yes, we have uneven floors. When my electric cart's brake if off, I coast into the walls. :)