Old problem, new trick

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by moopups, Jun 23, 2004.

1. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    In that I am building a trailor to haul my kubota, I wanted to install an electrical winch for loading dead items. Not wanting the winch to take up surface space on the deck I descited to drop it under the flush surface of the deck. This would lead to the winchs cable to drag on the decks surface when in use. Wanting to avoid that I created a hindged base plate for the winch to mount onto. This base plate lifts to 45 degree when pressure is added to the cable, a simple pair of hindge pins(5/8th cold rolled) is the pivot point, plus there are 2 welded side stops in place. When the pull pressure is stoped it settles back to horizonal. The 45 degree lift is just enought for the winchs spool to clear the deck surface.

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Neat idea and less fuss than a receiver hitch mount and drawbar winch.

3. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

A removable fairled might have solved the same problem with less design problems... maybe.

Dads old 450 JD cralwer had a fairlead on it and it was handy, could pull 180 degrees from the winch, without cuttinginto the housing! I miss that old crawler....

A winch onboard a trailer is more handy than most people think too, sounds like we need a picture of the end result sometime!

William