Old Pallets = Hardwood floors.

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by slimecoat, May 16, 2005.

1. slimecoat

slimecoat Member

I dismantled, sanded and treated some old pallet wood the other day. I know that someone has made old pallets wood into beautiful hardwood floors. I can’t find any information but I know its out there. Some of the pallet wood I worked on was oak and cedar. I wonder if anyone else knows this.

2. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

Probably will make decent flooring, best to plane it all to the same thickness first. I've made furniture out of old pallets, got to figure out how to make the nail holes appear to blend in.

Love to find ones made out of cedar. Most are elm, oak or something like hickory. The pine ones aren't worth the work.

3. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

screw it down counter sink the screws use a plug bit on a scrap piece glue them in just make shure the grain is running in the right direction years ago living in vermont i made a few kitchen cabinets out of them used brass screws looked real nine

4. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

most all the pallets I get here are to thin to make good flooring, but if the boards are thick enough, a person might try to use a router on them and make a ship lap style board for joining them to keep from shinkage problems [ all woods will shrink after installation] hardwood flooring usually comes in a t&g patter with a different degree of pitch on it than a normal T & G pattern has, I was told this also halps with expansion and shrikage problems after installation.... only sold about 10 thousand board feet of western larch for flooring about 11 years back.

I too would use a thickness planer to make the boards uniform before sanding.

William

5. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

some of the pallets we get are teak!! nice long pieces too over eight feet on plywood pallets.

6. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

teak i would love to find some of those pretty pricey wood for a pallet

7. Countrybumpkin

Countrybumpkin Well-Known Member

the guy down the road just built a new house, and he was privy to a bunch of oak overseas shipping pallets...planed them down, and make a beautiful floor out of them! He put quite a few coats of poly on it, and one would swear that it is a 100 year old floor...wish I had thought of it!

8. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

for teak palets head to any store selling teak plywood guess were it comes from teak is not that rare!!

9. Old Jack

Old Jack Truth Seeker

A friend recently got several pallets of teak and mahogany.
    They came in loaded with steel to a plant that would make the steel into dog food cans. Ask around at local factories where they get their raw materials, you may get lucky. He told me that these came from Malaysia and that those woods are their "junk" woods.
    I have a sawmill about a mile from me that does nothing but make pallets.
    They use the local woods that aren't considered lumber quality --poplar, beech, etc