Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a nubian doe that had kids a while back and they've been weened for a while, maybe a month or two, or even longer. She hasn't been milked in a while and her bags were huge. I finally got around to milking her yesterday, and I gave that to the hogs. I got about a quart and a half out of her before she got unruly. I assumed that the milk in there was really old and probably not good.

Can I start drinking the milk after a couple or few days of milking her?

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
40,183 Posts
I'd milk her twice a day for three days, feeding that to the hogs. Make sure her udder feels soft and has no lumps or hot spots. Check the milk to make sure that there are no clumps or stringy things.

After that, if she's still producing, I'd use the milk. If it tastes salty, she has mastitis, but that sounds unlikely. I think you'd have noticed it in the milk you got today.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sounds great. Yeah, the milk seemed fine and the hogs certainly didnt complain. lol. I'm looking forward to using the milk. A while back I had been using it and it was delicious. My kids even requested it over store bought milk.

I would love to try to make butter out of it but from what little bit that I read, it seems to be a bit of a process, and takes a good bit of milk.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts