Old Maytag Wringer Washer

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Horse Fork Farm, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Horse Fork Farm

Horse Fork Farm Well-Known Member

[​IMG][/url] 100_0115 Found Wringer Washer by , on Flickr[/IMG]

Does anyone here work on these? This one was in an old building at my daughters house. It needs a new motor. We have a few used electric motors around the place... wonder if one of them will fit. Any good websites for repairing them? Thanks!

2. oldmanriver

oldmanriver Well-Known Member

If you have any old order Amish around they buy all the old maytags and put gas motors on them They still get parts for them somewhere .

Don’t you be afraid, for I am with you. Don’t be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you. Yes, I will help you. -Isaiah 41:10

3. Horse Fork Farm

Horse Fork Farm Well-Known Member

Good to know. Closest Amish to me are in Ohio, not very close. I'm planning to strip it down and prime and paint it so I can use it for washing quilts and coveralls etc... The outside has some rust.

4. SFM in KY

SFM in KY Well-Known Member Supporter

My grandfather had a gas motor on my grandmother's wringer washer ... don't know the brand, but this was back in the late 1940s and I don't think it had a motor to begin with.

5. MOgal

MOgal Well-Known Member Supporter

Yours looks a lot like the one a friend gave me when she moved into a smaller house after their retirement except that mine has had good care all along. The knob on the left side engages the agitator but I can't tell what the lever on the bottom right is as mine doesn't have this. I also use it for large items since I can let them soak easily but have used it for the entire family wash when the automatics have quit. My machine is from the late 50's or early 60's yet it's outlived two automatic washers just while I've had it--maybe 10 years. Just goes to show what poor quality merchandise is being put on the market these days. Had to replace our 35 year old refrigerator last October and I bet its replacement doesn't last a fraction of that time. End of rant.

After Dolly gave me hers, I called Maytag to see if they could provide a photocopy of the owners' manual. They actually kept new copies available and shipped one to me free of charge. I don't think the booklet is available any longer but if you can't find one, I'll scan mine and forward it to you if you wish. Now this is NOT a repair manual, it's how to use the washer.

6. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

I have one of the gas motors that were used in Maytag washers. You can buy them on Ebay all of the time as well as the parts for them.

7. FarmboyBill

FarmboyBill Well-Known Member Supporter

My Maytag is a 39 model. Its green. It has braces at the bottom of the legs. Mounted on those braces is wooden blocks and a motor was mounted onto the wood. Course, u dont have that with yours. If I ever saw a matag with a non removeable lid, ive forgotten it. Wheres the wringer?

8. gila_dog

gila_dog Well-Known Member

We had one and used it for a while. It was given to us by a neighbor who warned my wife not to get her *** caught in it, like his daughter did. :stars:

We gave up on it when we realized it was no better, nor more efficient, and a lot more work, than a basic modern washing machine.

9. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Actually its pretty easy to fix up a bracket for the engine and run a Belt to the pulley on the Washer.

big rockpile

10. FarmboyBill

FarmboyBill Well-Known Member Supporter

well G dot, it uses LOTS less wter

11. Freya

Freya Can't find bacon seeds Supporter