old man,told me a mad cow cure today

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by little mom, Dec 26, 2003.

1. little mom

little mom Active Member

I'LL really get hammered for this one, by the way
    we raise our own beef ect..to
    anyway we was at a neighbors fabric store today and the
    older man there was saying his daddy cured that mcd
    easy in 3 days, he said they would split 6 inch place in
    there tales a soft spot there somewhere then he
    put ,the mix ash,salt, turpentine in the slit he cut and put
    turp. in the pocket behind the head three day it was
    gone healed
    just thought i would tell you,so can't say it works
    so dont need any bs

2. little mom this doesn't reflect on you, but I don't believe a word of it.

The guy or his dad can't cure a disease that hasn't been in the US previously.

3. yes it has, better check your history

4. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Guest, Unregistered' how about some back up for your statements. Maybe some web sites, ect.

5. posifour11

posifour11 Well-Known Member

sounds a lot like the cure for what the old folks used to call "holler tail"(later found to be holler belly)

6. Hoop

Hoop Well-Known Member

These are real pearls of advice littlemom!

Scientists and gov'ts have spent countless millions seeking a cure....and by golly.....your neighbor not only has the cure.....but has already used it.

If this weren't such a serious subject, this would be laughable.

7. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Unfortunately there are old timers that have used this cure for everything. Jerry Clowers the comedian used to tell the story about Hollow tail/hollow belly.
    I've talked to a friend that is a local large animal vet and he has seen the results of this treatment. He said many times when he gets there after they have performed all of their voodoo the cow is definetly mad as in PO'd. You would be too if someone did this to you for no good reason.

8. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member Supporter

The reason most folks think there has been no mad cow disease in the U.S. is that there has been no REPORTED cases (from the farmers/cattlemen) My nieghbor of 73 told me years ago the every farm in his area (SE South Dakota) had had cows with the "Staggers" they would all, without fail, take the cow out, shot it, and bury it. So no reporting, no contaminated meat in the system. Nowadays with beef ranching being so highpowered the ranchers - many not all - want every dollar they can get so the sick cows are sold commercially, not shot and buried on the back 40. According to an article on another thread here today, the U.S. did not ban meat byproduct cattle feed until 1997 folks. Plenty of time for development of the disease.

9. bigmouth

bigmouth Guest

I was talking to a retired dairy farmer a few years ago when the mcd was reported from over seas. He said in the past they had cows with same symptoms and that a quarters worth of iodine would take care of it.

10. 2A

2A Well-Known Member

I can remember seeing cattle with the "staggers" 30 years ago. Never even thought of reporting it, just take em out and shoot em and burn the corpse same as with any questionable diseased animal.

11. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Don't confuse mad cow disease with what is/was known as gid, staggers or sturdy in sheep and cattle. While symptoms can be similar (ataxia, hypermetria, blindness, head deviation, stumbling and paralysis), it is attributed to a severe worm/parasite infection of the brain.

Ken S. in WC TN

12. 2A

2A Well-Known Member

The fact remains that without an autopsy we haven't a clue what it was. Could as easily have been one as the other.