Old kerosene

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by mjl, Nov 3, 2005.

1. mjl

mjl Well-Known Member

I was cleaning out the garage and came across a nearly 5 gallon can of kerosene bought almost two years ago. Will this still be usable in my Kerosun heater if needed? Do I need to put any additives in it like you do with gasoline? If it's not usable for the heater what's the most environmentally friendly way to dispose of it?

TIA - Maggie

2. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Try the Additives that should do it.

3. mjl

mjl Well-Known Member

Should I use Stabil or Pri_____? Thanks again. I think I'll start it up outside first time.

4. Donna-6

Donna-6 Well-Known Member

The one who wanted to know about this. I have had some over 2/half years in garage. Yes it is ok. Put the additives as you usually do to keep it from smoking. I keep mine for hard times when lights goes out and no power for several days. We live out in country and it does that quite often. If ya had trash to burn or something ya can pour it on the papers. But I would use it. The worst it would do is smoke a little. Where are ya at. We are in E. Tn. A real small place called Sneedville. Has 2-red-lights. Pass it and never know it. :p

5. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

I wouldnt do it... it will ruin your wick. use it to burn trash, save your wick.

6. Qwispea

Qwispea Well-Known Member

Kerosene will last several years..yours should work just fine.

7. Paranoid

Paranoid Homebrewed Happiness

i was recently looking at properties out in sneedville, but have never been out there. great to see someone posting from there!!

8. mtnmanlou

mtnmanlou Member

Does this advice on 2-yr old kerosene apply to kerosene heaters only or any use of kerosene (i.e. kerosene lamps). I have a 2 year old gallon container of kerosene. Do I need to throw it out too (or add additives) or can I use it in my lamp? I wasn't sure if there was something unique about kerosene heaters that was driving this or if this was the shortlived nature of kerosene.

What do you think?

Lou

9. Dave in Ohio

Dave in Ohio Well-Known Member

I've always read that pure kerosene will last indefinitely. Diesel on the other hand does go bad. I've used kerosene in my kerosun heaters that has been several years old and no troubles. At $3.00 a gallon I would burn it without hesitation.
    Dave

10. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

Diesel lasts a long time too unless you live in a high humidity area and algae starts growing in it. I don't know why folks think that kerosene and diesel fuel which are both oils go bad. They are not vegetable oils that can go rancid.

As long as you filter out dirt and water the stuff's still good. I've got kerosene that I've had for over five years that was old when I got it. Just filter it and use it. I've seen diesel trucks start and run, using the old diesel, that have been parked for over three years.

11. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

I once bought 5 gallons from a hardware store that had not received their annual tankfull, so I was getting the last of the tank from the year before. It had so much water in it from condensation that it nearly ruined my heater. I had to have the heater cleaned thoroughly before I could get it to work again.

12. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

That's the point. You have to remove any water or particulate matter in the kerosene or diesel. I have a bottom drain off the kerosene tank to remove any water. I use a regular hand pump through a top opening for the kerosene.

If you're unsure if you have water contamination pour the fuel into a large glass container first and wait for any water to settle out on the bottom.