Old JD Combine steering problem?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by John Schneider, Jul 24, 2006.

1. John Schneider

John Schneider Well-Known Member

I am wondering if there is anyone here that can help me? I just acquired a new-to-me JD 55 combine. It is in good shape aside from the steering cables that appear to be stretched beyond usable condition. The adjustment pullies are extended as far as they can be and the cables are loose enough that they do not function without unravelling off the hubs. These are the cables with metal cylinders on each end that catch the stops on the hubs. Can these cables be shortened somehow? Do I need to get new cables altogether? Any help is appreciated. I can e-mail pictures of the cables if that helps with a diagnosis. Thanks in advance...John

2. catahoula

catahoula Well-Known Member

Are you talking about the spring tensioned cables that are on the feeder housing that sort of support the header? Is it a level land combine? You should be able to find parts for it somewhere.You could also have new cables made for it if you have a machine shop in your area. If they are the cables I'm thinking of they shouldn't be guitar string tight, they absorb the "sway" of your header. Of course you could be talking about something entirely different...how about a picture.

3. John Schneider

No actually...these are the cables that run from the steering wheel shaft through some pulleys and then connect to another hub that turns the hydraulic steering shaft. These cables run under the operators platform. Kind of a funky set-up. To complicate matters, I went to the JD dealer and found out that my old cables are exactly the same length that they were from the factory! On the combine, they are too long with two wraps and too short with three wraps! I must be missing something...maybe they should be 3 on one hub and 2 on another? It is too bad that the combine is so far away and I can't seem to find a way to get it home where I can work on it at my leisure.

4. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Is there some where you can cut the cables and install a turn buckle?

5. John Schneider

no, I don't believe so although that would be ideal. The problem is that the cables actually travel quite a lot and there are at least three sets of pulleys that allow the cable to change directions as they go from hub to hub. I really need to see a proper install.

6. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    What about a bigger diameter idler pully? Or remount one in a different location.

7. John Schneider

Thanks for the ideas Moopups...like I said though, I did find out that the cables are exactly the right length as specified from the factory. I am simply missing something when it comes to installing them properly. Of course there is the issue that they came off in the first place??! I was hoping that someone had an old 55 that they could take a few pics for me to go on. I have the schematic from John Deere, but it doesn't show how many wraps on each hub...it simply shows the routes that the cables follow on the pulley system (which I already know). I guess I will have to experiment with various patterns of wraps on each hub until I get the slack out.

8. catahoula

catahoula Well-Known Member