Old Homelite Chainsaw

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by jeffinmaine, Sep 24, 2005.

1. jeffinmaine

jeffinmaine Member

I was just given an old homelite chainsaw (my newer one was borrowed and never returned)

It is probably about 30 years old, blue one, was running fine when he put it away for the last time about 5 years ago. Hasn't been touched since. What should I do to get it going?

Jeff

2. mohillbilly

mohillbilly Well-Known Member

I have a few old homelites, one gave out after 32 years of service last year!

I would make sure the fuel tank is cleaned out first. Pour a little gas in the tank and slosh it around good, then dump it out to get rid of crud and sldge. Then clean the airfilter. I find about 50 psi with the blow gun works great.

then check for a spark at the plug, make sure it is a decent spark. If no spark, then pull the flywheel and change the points and condensor. (assuming the plug is good)

Alot of the old homelites used an old tillotson carb. a good one for the most part. DONT ADJUST IT!!!!!

mix your fuel at about 25:1, pour it in, and start her up. Full choke the first few pulls , then half choke and partial throttle to get it runnin. when she warms up a bit, kill the choke and tear up the timber!

At least thats how all my old homelites start and run.

Not much to the things, a simple 2 stroke engine and a chain!

Good luck with it....!!!!!

3. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    A 2 stroke engine of that age and nonuse will proabibly have crank seal issues, a 2 stroke's fuel is pumped up from the crankcase via the scavenger ports, holes below the piston into the cylinder walls. If the crankcase seals are dry , the pressure wil not build enought for fuel to come above the piston when it is down. Cureing this requires the cases be split, the seals replaced. The usual pattern is the unit runs about for 5 or 6 strokes then dies, if this happens it is evident that the seals need replacement.

4. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

I had a steihl that was dong that and thats exactly what it took to fix it