Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My nonfarming/somewhat city slicker (in country yet totally city mindset) came over to my home the other day. She lives in another state. My 8 month old Nubian runs past her. She is brown except for gray ears and a bit of gray on the top of her head. My sil says "ooh she must be an old goat." I said "no, shes only 8 months old" She says "Oh I thought the gray hair meant age but it must just be her coloring"

HAHHAHAHAHAHHA.. I didn't bust up laughing lest I really embarassed her. I have never known an animal who got gray hair for being old but this woman is nearly 30 years old so I just find it hilarious she thought gray hair on a goat meant old. I will never forget it! its something you expect a kid to say LOL This doeling is tiny but my SIL is ignorant so size means nothing either LOL

·
Love My Manchas!
1,803 Posts
XD i get the same here, except people ask me are yours all girls cause they dont have horns(and or) beards?

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
One time I was walking my goats down a nearby road. My goats walk well on a leash and are really tame...

Anywho, this older couple drove by, slowed down, and rolled down their window. They stopped and politely asked "Oh how cute! What kind of dogs are those??"

HOW ON EARTH DO YOU CONFUSE A GOAT WITH A DOG? Especially a white doe with black horns... :confused:

·
Love My Manchas!
1,803 Posts
i have no idea...its crazy and sad that people dont know about animals. i show cattle at our local fair and people aks to milk a bull! and some people dont even know where milk comes from!!

·
Premium Member
4,661 Posts
how about commenting on the nice udder on our ram sheep? (umm, nice balls?)

still can't understand how we'd repeatedly get asked if our human boys, 22 months different in age, were twins. huh?!!

·
le person
6,241 Posts
how about commenting on the nice udder on our ram sheep? (umm, nice balls?)

still can't understand how we'd repeatedly get asked if our human boys, 22 months different in age, were twins. huh?!!
They probably just figure you have a favorite, ya know, he gets fed better and all.

Truly, dogs can get gray (white) hair as they age. My 15 year old dog has a lot of white hairs on her face and head that didn't used to be there.

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One time I was walking my goats down a nearby road. My goats walk well on a leash and are really tame...

Anywho, this older couple drove by, slowed down, and rolled down their window. They stopped and politely asked "Oh how cute! What kind of dogs are those??"

HOW ON EARTH DO YOU CONFUSE A GOAT WITH A DOG? Especially a white doe with black horns... :confused:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHA

·
Love My Manchas!
1,803 Posts
Its really sad, i was at a show milking on of my girls and this family came up to watch and the boy asked "does she have a boo boo?" and the pearents said "im not really sure what that is" O.O !!!!! so i explaned to them, and let them milk her(yes i sanitized thier hands before and after ;) ) but what im gona start doing is ordering thoes ribbions that say "i milked a goat" and when i go to shows put up a sign of times when i milk and people are welcome to come/watch and try :) its our job to educate peopole out there! :D ....plus it makes me feel good seeing thier smiles XD

·
Premium Member
4,549 Posts

We got that ALL THE TIME with our goat. She was golden retriever yellow and we'd walk her on a leash and the dog off-leash. People would stop constantly and ask about my dog "Oh, he's a GSD mix" "No, not that one, the yellow one."
Finally we just started telling people she was a golden retriever cross, but she was just ugly (LOL, yes, she had horns - you don't see a lot of dogs with hooves either, LOL and she would go right up to the car and stand up and stick her head in the window, everyone got a real close look)) to which the invariable response was a shocked look and "Awww, she's not ugly!!!!"

·
Love My Manchas!
1,803 Posts
hahaha!! ya one of my girls rides in the back of the truck, well she thinks shes riding, but the trucks not on and no ones driving, but when guests coe to the house thier like "aww you got a dog??" ya i got an ear less dog with hoves

·
Uber Tuber
6,287 Posts
Actually my doggie is getting gray on her black muzzle as she ages. I have seen that on other dogs too.

·
Registered
86 Posts
When I brought my newest goats home, (2 does, 2 bucks), my four year old brother said "You are going to milk Dash!!" (Dash is my biggest, most "manly" looking buck).
"No", I said, "you can't milk boys!"
"But", he went on, "he has those "things" under him".
I couldn't stop laughing, espescially when he turned to Dad and asked "What are thoes?"

·
Love My Manchas!
1,803 Posts
i love moments like that XD you allways need a bit of inocence in your life to make ya laugh :p

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
Hehehe, at the Fair this year we were joking with people that one of my newly-acquired goat kids was a chihuahua with hooves. A very stylish and feminine doe, she was about 2.5-3 months old and clipped for show. Except for the belly band, she is even colored like a chihuahua and she was about the right size at the time (ND). When frightened, she even shook like an excited little chihuahua. We were telling people to let us know if she starts to bark. :D

The little chihuahua-wannabe was Yipsy, for those of you familiar with my girls on my website. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts