old fences help!!!!!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by oldmanriver, Jan 20, 2005.

1. oldmanriver

oldmanriver Well-Known Member

after working 2 days trying to remove an old fence I have decided it will take the rest of my life to do the whole farm. No money for a dozer The old woven wire has been there so long that it is partly in the ground and if I try and pull it out it just breaks off. Any ideas or suggestions. Thought about just moving over a foot or so and building new, Thanks in advance

2. Cindy in KY

Cindy in KY Well-Known Member

Most of the places in Kentucky are like that, with the fences grown right into the cedars and hardwoods, and underground too. We always just put up a new line of field fence right inside of the old, on our side, with T-posts as needed between trees, or broken off posts. All of our perimiter fences on this farm are newer field fence on our side, and barbed wire and old rusty field fence on their side. It's a mess, but not much else you can do sometimes.

3. oldmanriver

oldmanriver Well-Known Member

Cindy do you have fescue grass it grows so well here that is what has most of the fence pulled in the ground can't decided if i love it or hate

4. DaleK

DaleK Well-Known Member

Can you get the grass dry enough to burn the fenceline? Or spread some old hay or straw down along it and light it up?

5. MaKettle

MaKettle Well-Known Member

Ours wasn't at the rusted stage, but was imbedded under dirt and grass and grass roots. We dug and pulled and sweated, and finally attached it to the tow bar of the truck, put it in 4wd, and ripped it out of there. Helped that it was spring and the ground was soft.And only had a short section that needed removal.

6. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

..................OMR , when I cleaned up a fence row here in texas my strategy was , If , the old fence has t posts , I took a piece of flat , 4" x 4" steel plate by 1\4" thick and used my torch to cut a hole shaped like a cross that would slide down over the tpost and welded a 4 foot piece of chain to the plate . Then , I used the bucket of my tractor to extract all the tposts possible . The plate would slide down over the tpost and catch on one of those metal bumps on the tpost . After , I had removed as many tposts as possible I would start at one end of a section of fence row and use the bucket of the tractor and literally push the wire UP into a pile . This is possible by keeping the edge of the bucket about 2 inches off the ground . Very quickly the bucket will be riding on the balled up wire . Of course , if you have very large trees\bushes\rocks you'll just have to work around them . Some land owners wanted me to haul off their trash\fence wire but I just let them hire a backhoe and bury the old fence . Now , with the price of old metal at 85\ton I'd haul it to the Metal recycler and make some beer money :eek: . fordy :)