Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got and old well pipe capped off next to the house driveway. the house is on city water now, it's cheap, it works, and we have a pond and creek as water sources also. but, since the well is there and has water, i'm wanting to get it tested for water quality and have an old school hand water pump installed over it (hubby will probably do it to save $).

i'm looking for product recommendations or advice from others who have this set-up. don't want to just buy a cute decorative item or a crappy china-made product. want quality that will sit there and work when needed for decades.

thanks all.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't think.
I know :) but, I got men (hubby and daddy) working on wrapping up pre-winter projects. they won't be getting to this until at least spring time. i'm not what you'd call "skilled labor" :facepalm: but, I keep em fed and manage the kiddos.

hubby said my idea was good, but I gotta look into sourcing the materials, so i'm just looking for a good manufacturer & price range and any info from yall that he'd find helpful. he's not on here himself, but I frequently find threads that are related to something we're doing or I want done and have him peruse through the posts to glean the info that would be helpful to him.

my google search was not what i'd call productive this morning, maybe i'm not even hunting up the right name of what i'm looking for. so, I jumped on here and figured i'd ask.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I have a Heller-Aller Windmill rated pump that has been around for years. The hand pump will lift water as deep as you can muscle it up. The static level of the water will determine what size cylinder to use with your pump, the deeper the static level the smaller the cylinder, as you are lifting that water cloumb with your strength. The Heller-Aller is a sealed pump so that contaminates can not get into your well. The Heller-Aller is now made by the Amish in Indiana, they bought out the company a few years back and is on the Internet under Hitzer stoves Berne Ind.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a Heller-Aller Windmill rated pump that has been around for years. The hand pump will lift water as deep as you can muscle it up. The static level of the water will determine what size cylinder to use with your pump, the deeper the static level the smaller the cylinder, as you are lifting that water cloumb with your strength. The Heller-Aller is a sealed pump so that contaminates can not get into your well. The Heller-Aller is now made by the Amish in Indiana, they bought out the company a few years back and is on the Internet under Hitzer stoves Berne Ind.
thank you!

·
Registered
659 Posts
Also the 50L has a second cylinder that lets you pump against pressure so you could run a line from the hand pump to a pressure tank in the house and pump up to 60psi into the house pressure tank.

·
Registered
659 Posts
gibbsgirl-
they sell those pumps out of Lehmans non-electric but i can tell you if you have some local Amish who are not afraid to deal with the "English" they can save you a lot of money on those pumps and cylinders....

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lol...no....but, the second I go out and start fiddling with something or other outside, they're right there checking on what I've got going on. and, usually it ends up getting them off track from whatever they were working on.

it's a little like when i'm doing something in the house and one of them starts opening cabinets and getting stuff out in the kitchen. I always end up stopping what I got going on and head down into the kitchen asking "is there something I can help you with?"

someday I really outta have my kids make a secret video of what happens when I go out and touch one of their tools. they're like gnats to a bug light..."is there something we can help you with?"

1 - 13 of 13 Posts