old fashioned flooring question

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Alice In TX/MO, Aug 16, 2005.

1. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

I like the look of old general store floors. These floors are wide plank, and they simply look like 1 x 12 boards nailed down, rather than tongue and groove. Is there any reason I CAN'T use 1 x 12 boards? I would put them over plywood subflooring. I want the rustic look.

2. travlnusa

travlnusa Well-Known Member

No reason at all that you could not do that. Make sure that you put roofing (tar) paper between subfloor and flooring as a vapor barrier.

Take some time and see if you can find some old cut nails to complete the look.

3. pamintexas

pamintexas Well-Known Member

Rose, we bought unfinished 12" wide pine flooring from Lumber Liquidators in Austin to get that rustic look and we love it. Pine is a softer wood and will show dings and imperfections that you wouldn't get with hardwood but we don't mind that. The price was very reasonable and so was their delivery fee.

4. MissKitty

MissKitty Mrs. no longer OldGrouch.

This sounds so interesting...CAn you post a picture???...Also how do you keep dirt and other debri out of the cracks...I like this idea...MissKitty

5. pamintexas

The planks fit close together so there are no big cracks to worry about. So far we have just used an oil finish (Watco Danish oil finish followed up with a linseed oil/turpentine mix) but I'm thinking we may go with a poly because it is easier to keep clean. Lumber Liquidators has a website with photos of all their lumber. We plan to buy our butcher block there for our kitchen counter tops which is what we are currently working on.

6. starjj

starjj Well-Known Member Supporter

Pam How hard is it to do the butcher block on the countertops? I would like to try to do it for my house. I really don't want laminate again and solid countertops are way too expensive.

7. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

If you do a search for, flooring, you will get lots of good ideas, like my post from June 27, 2005:

Good Luck,

Alex

8. pamintexas

Didn't mean to highjack this thread.
    StarJ, I don't think the butcher block is going to be any more difficult to install than a laminate would be. My husband will be doing the work and he is pretty handy but we'll have to wait and see I guess.
    I'll try and get a good picture of the flooring tomorrow when the light is better.

9. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter