Old fashioned barn raising

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by barnyardfun, Apr 5, 2005.

1. barnyardfun

barnyardfun Happy Homemaker Supporter

I have been thinking (after the past couple days of working our behinds off) how nice the old fashioned barn raises must have been!! My DH and I are building a barn and not spending a penny. We cut our own trees for the post and stuff. Metal and lumber were given to us over the past few years (tearing down old chicken houses and stuff). It has been HARD doing this with only two people but also so satisfying knowing we are building it all on our own (well, with the help of a chainsaw and tractor). BUT just imagine how nice it was back then to have the whole countryside come out to help you build a barn in a day or two. You have men working outside, women cooking enough food for an army, and children into mischief!! How nice that would have been!

I am pretty sure that our family is ignoring our phone calls because they know what we are doing and don't want any part of it. Well at least the phone has been quiet!!

Have any of you enjoyed the feeling of building something on your own??
    I LOVE IT!! It makes me wish we didn't already have a house so we could start over a build it from scratch!! :D

2. Dreams30

Dreams30 Lady Rider

Take some asprin and drink lots of water, working that hard has obviously gotten to your brain. ;)

Actually, I do know that wonderful feeling when you stand back and look at what you did to make the impossible possible. Enjoy.

3. Maria

Maria Well-Known Member

We are going to have a newfangled barn raising this weekend! We bought one of those steel arched metal buildings last year and finally got the foundation all done and have 4 arches assembled and lying on the ground. My husband's friends are coming over on Saturday to help raise the first arches, fasten them together, and then assemble and raise as many arches as we have time for. :)

Not your traditional barn raising, but as close as we are ever likely to get!

4. ibcnya

ibcnya Well-Known Member

I built my own 1500 sq ft insulated concrete form berm home and it has been a 3 year ordeal. It's great to do it yourself but I'll never do it again. And I still ain't done with everything but then again is anyone ever done with their place?

5. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Around here most the neighbors get together once or twice a year for major projects,such as Framing or Roofing a building.

Got one neighbor I just don't know about.He will build a building,6 months later tear it down.Got to where no one will help him anymore.

You should try building a house after working all day,using Gas Lanterns,no Power Tools.

big rockpile