Old buck breeding question

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Hilda, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Hilda

Hilda Well-Known Member

At what age do you all retire your bucks?

I finally heard back from the breeder about the pedigree mix-up. Except there wasn't any mix up in the peds. Gemini, who was sold to me as a year old unproven buck, is indeed 4 years old and the great grandfather of both Thyme and Freyja!!! LOL. Ask me if I'm a happy camper :rolleyes: The breeder was very apologetic about it, said he must have grabbed the wrong buck by mistake and has promised me a new creme buck from an upcoming litter. At this point, I'll take him at his word.

So why isn't Gemini making babies? :shrug: He's proven and he's made babies before. Is he just too old? I hear sometimes an older buck can go into a 'slump' in the fall?

Thanks!

2. lonelyfarmgirl

lonelyfarmgirl Well-Known Member Supporter

If you are refering to the fall as autumn, high temps can stop a breeding buck in his tracks. If by the fall you mean the 'over the hill' slide. it depends on the buck. My poor, sorely missed cookie, my registered mini lop buck, died last summer of old age. he was maybe pushing 7 or 8. He bred actively right up to death. I have one year olds off him now. I also had a jersey woolie doe produce a litter at the age of 9, then she died several months later.

I never retire my bucks. I dont see the point. If they've bred before, the smell of does will make them always want to. so let them as long as the fish are still swimming. its minimal stress. Now, I'll stop breeding a doe when she clearly cant handle the stress anymore. My 9 year old jersey woolie was years ago when I was a beginner and didnt know better.

3. Hilda

Hilda Well-Known Member

Hey lonelyfarmgirl,

It was the time of year I was refering to. I remember reading that sometimes older bucks can slump temporarily in the autumn.

It was a very hot summer last year so if he was made sterile by the heat, it would be temporary, right?

Right now, I'm giving him wheat germ to help build him up, so to speak. He's in good condition and I thought I'd try him again next breeding session, probably March/April.

I was just wondering if old bucks generally stop making wigglies.

Thanks a lot!

4. MaggieJ

MaggieJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Hilda, how could the breeder have "grabbed the wrong buck by mistake"? Bucks have to be housed separately and I always thought breeders used tattoos and/or cage cards to prevent mix-ups. If it really was a mistake, the breeder should give you a refund and a young buck. Look at all the time you've lost because of it already -- and it will be months before a young buck as yet unborn is ready to breed.

5. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I have had several bucks go heat sterile in the fall and not recover. That breeder may have tried to pass on a sterile buck to you. I agree, he should replace the buck NOW with what you agreed upon originally. At the least, he should get your doe(s) bred for you while you're waiting for a new buck. But you shouldn't have to feed and care for a buck that appears to be sterile!

And I'd check the new buck carefully. A breeder should never be so careless as this person was.

6. lonelyfarmgirl

lonelyfarmgirl Well-Known Member Supporter

I agree with megZ. I dont know if any of my bucks have gone sterile in late summer. I have heard they recover. I just dont expect babies out of my ground colony and I dont breed my cage does during july or august or september. they are all so hot. I remember being pregnant in the winter, and I felt like a walking fire ball. I couldn't imagine having a hair covered body and being pregnant in the summer.
    For normal circumstance, give them frozen bottles to lay on when the temp will be over 85`. dont let that dude scam you. get what you deserve.

7. Hilda

Hilda Well-Known Member

Thanks, all.

I know it sounds fishy. The breeder was in my neck of the woods, we're about a five hour drive apart, judging a rabbit show and he brought my rabbits with him. I chose Gem over another buck. I could have picked the other one and had none of these problems, who knows?

I suppose it is plausible with packing up all sorts of rabbits, he did grab the wrong one. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. However, there's an old saying "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me." I'm keeping that in mind.

I'm getting a new buck and Oreo's doing a fine job right now. His babies are plump, happy little bouncers. Some are completely black and some are "sparkly", they are black with little flecks of silver and gold through their coats - brindle buns.

The does from this guy are just awesome. I haven't lost a kit since they were born with the exception of Sunfire's and I'm pretty sure that was first time mother nerves. Her 4 surviving kits weighed around 1/2 a pound each at two weeks. She's a good mom. Both Thymes' eight and Freyja's seven are doing great. Freyja kindled 10 days ago, no fuss, no bother in the most fur lined nest of the bunch.

I've learned a lot. I know now that if I ever buy pedigree rabbits again and the seller says "I'll mail you the pedigrees." I'm walking away from the deal. I'll always visit the rabbitry and look over all paper work. Was I taken? May-be, but if I was, I really don't think he did it purposely.

I thank you all so much for your ideas, advice and suggestions.

8. grand slam

grand slam Active Member

It isn't difficult to get mixed up on the buck esp if the bucks are all the same variety or you are at a show and have had the rabbits out a number of times to show people. I know once my rabbit is up on the show table with a number of other rabbits I really don't know which is which unless he is clearly outstanding over the others. Sterility from the summer hear should be over now at least in the colder states. I keep my better bucks in my basement during the summer. Usually a stable 60 degrees and no problems. The oldest buck I have had to sire a litter was 10. He sired 5 in that litter. I don't think bucks get to old but health issues like arthritis do slow them down. You are right,, NEVER NEVER pay for a rabbit without the pedigree changing hands at the same time unless you will never need that pedigree. I've found money changes hands fast, pedigrees never come soon enough after the money has been paid.

9. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

Man, four years old? That stinks, since you thought he was a year-old buck. It *is* easy to get rabbits mixed up at a show, but the breeder should have double-checked the ear number before letting you go home with him. :(

He should be able to breed still, however. Arnie, my foundation Californian buck, is 3.5 years old and he doesn't look (or act) any older than he did as a junior!