Old Bottles

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Barb, Oct 15, 2005.

1. Barb

Barb Well-Known Member

While sealing an old well next to the house the backhoe uncovered an old dump. They salvaged some old bottles for me. They are the old narrow mouthed cork bottles. Now, how do I get them clean? This no way that I know of to get inside the bottles with such a narrow opening and I can't get all the dirt & residue out. The outsides (and some insides) on some have mineral stains. I've soaked and scrubbed what I can, but how to remove the rest? Anyone know?

2. dustyacres

dustyacres Well-Known Member

I have used denture cleaner with good results, the tablet kind that fizzes. And then after soaking overnight I use a baby bottle brush, I also have used hot water and uncooked rice and shake. Some bottles are more stubborn than others, some I find the outside has actually been etched a worn and you can't get them crystal clear.
    Congratulations on a great find.

3. PonderosaQ

PonderosaQ Well-Known Member Supporter

If you don't have denture cleaner a fairly strong bleach solution followed with a small bottle brush might do the job.....or possibly one of those enzyme cleaners.

PQ

4. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

I might suggest white vineagar.

5. Jan in CO

Jan in CO Well-Known Member Supporter

I think my father used to use a small narrow brush like the one used to clean guns for cleaning out old bottles. Neat find! Jan in Co

6. BearCreekFarm

BearCreekFarm Well-Known Member

I've been using dairy pipeline cleaner to clean the old jars we have been digging out of our farm's dump. They wind up looking almost new, except for the ones that have scratches, etc. And you may need a long skinny bottle brush for the insides, but try just filling them with the pipeline cleaner first and letting them soak for awhile.

Enjoy your treasures!

7. Barb

Barb Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone!

BearCreek - just where does one get pipeline cleaner? This isn't exactly dairy country here lol

Jan - Aha! gun cleaning brushes! That might work if DH will let me use them :rolleyes:

bjak - Where's my head. I should have tried that first. I've been reading the labels on the Iron out and Lime-Away. Cripes! Only as last resort and outside.

Ponderosa - these are REALLY small openings. Too small for a bottle brush - maybe one of those brushes I used to have eons ago for the nipples of baby bottles. Enzyme cleaner?

Dusty - Explain the denture cleaner. Do you have to drop one inside the bottle (not possible). Rice! That might work to get the algae and dirt loose. I'll try it.

8. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

all pipe line acid is is phosphoric acid, also sold as CLR . wear rubber gloves and goggles .first off clean as much with soap and water.

9. dustyacres

dustyacres Well-Known Member

You can break/crush the tablets up and put them in and then add water. Yes, The tablets are to big to fit in the necks, you can also just soak them in the solution in sink to get the outsides clean, if they are the bottles that have indentations etc... on the outside. If they are smooth you have an easy job on the outside. Sometimes nothing works, I have a few bottles that despite everything the crud just seems to be totally imbedded in the glass. I say it just makes them look more antique. :p

10. Barb

Barb Well-Known Member

Thanks Ford & Dusty

Okay, CLR I can probably get in town if nothing else works. The denture cleaner sounds easier though but a few of theses bottles look like they just might end up with Dusty's antique look. :rolleyes: The best one in my opinion is Dr. Miles Medicine Co. (Raised lettering on the bottle) and it came almost clean today.

11. country friend

country friend country friend

Years ago when I was a kid I would dig up old bottles from the local dumps and sale them to a lady in town. I used old bbs from a bb gun to put inside them . Shake them till all the dirt is lose then do again until bottle is spotles inside . It worked for me.
    Indiana Country Friend Jack Bunyard

12. WalterZ

WalterZ Member

Put some lead shot and detergent in them and shake, a lot. The lead shot is easier on the old glass than BB's and won't mark it up or chip it.

13. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

CLR is a nice approach. Just put it in and leave it time to work. Maybe overnight. Pure stuff usually cleans all stains, mineral deposits and stuff. Usually can get at most grocery, Walmart or stuff type stores.

CLR is in my storeroom and used for such jobs. Works for many situations.