Old Boars

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Mike in Pa, Feb 23, 2005.

1. Mike in Pa

Mike in Pa Well-Known Member

What do you do with your 2,3,4 year old boar after serving it's usefullness and still try to get a good product out of it?
    Auction? Take your chances with the meat? Or try and castrate them like a few very brave people here?

2. SmokedCow

SmokedCow Well-Known Member

don't bother trying to eat them...the meat wont be very good....you'd prob. be better off selling them..If they are 2 or 3 they should have some breedin left in them.
    AJ

3. Jim in MO

Jim in MO Well-Known Member

Auction.

No way will I ever try to castrate one again. :yeeha:

Jim in MO

4. Hilly Acre Farm

Hilly Acre Farm Active Member

We had our's butchered. I think he was 3 at the time. I called the processor to see if anything could be done with an older boar. She said, "Oh yeah, make him into spicey sausage", so we did. When you were cooking the meat you could tell there was a different smell in the kitchen, but it wasn't bad. The meat was fine, especially on pizza & such. You could also make him into dog food, it would certainly be enough to last a LONG time.

5. Horace Baker

Horace Baker Well-Known Member

I had a big 6 year old boar that went about 800 lbs. He came to the end of his usefulness last summer. Based on previous experience butchering boars, he's taking a dirt nap in the manure pile.