Old Baldy worked for me!

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by cowgirlone, Nov 6, 2004.

1. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

I got a chance to try out the Old Baldy yesterday. It worked great, thanks for the recommendation Tango! :D
    I used the dip and pour method. Saved a lot of wear and tear on my back! :haha:
    One down..........5 to go!

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Hey Cowgirl, I didn't know you husband was bald! Hard to believe that you haven't used him before this.

3. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

How were you able to dip and pour? We couldn't get results that way and it would be nice to spare my back :) Pray tell me cowgirlone....

4. Ed Norman

Ed Norman Well-Known Member

We have our new box of Old Baldy and will try it out next week. We usually dunk the hog and scrape. I hope this stuff works as well as everyone says.

5. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Make sure the water temp is between 139 and 149 or it won't work. Have fun :)

6. cowgirlone

:haha: :haha: :haha: Hey Unk, I don't know why I didn't think of using him before now!

Ed, it sure did a nice job for me.

Tango, I used a large piece of cheesecloth folded over on the hog, poured the hot water onto the cloth, letting it soak in really good. They cloth kept the area hot while I scraped a little at a time. I did have to have the water pretty hot, towards the 155 mark. I used a small pan with a handle to dip the hot water out and pour over the cloth.
    The hair came out beautifully (if that's possible :haha: ).

7. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Thanks cowgirlone :) It is interesting to see your different experience worked so well. We tried pouring with our first one and it ended up being skinned. That was that 400 pound sow :eek:

8. cowgirlone

I think having the water hotter helped, also keeping the cloth soaked so it wouldn't cool off. Sure was easier for me than hoisting the pig up and dipping it.

9. VApigLover

VApigLover Well-Known Member

The more I fantasize about the new box of "Old Baldy" sitting on the counter, I am beginning to see the hair will just jump off those hogs of mine....Those tough red & black hairs just falling off those hogs, while we just sit there and grin............... It needs to get cold soon so I can try this stuff.

10. cowgirlone

:haha: :haha: :haha: Hope you get a chance to use it soon. The hog I just did was black and those winter hairs were pretty long and thick. :haha: They just about jumped off of it! :D