Old, arthritic dog

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by jackie c, Oct 31, 2004.

1. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

My best freind is hurting, she limps more now with the damp, cold weather. She's very large and thick furred, and normally wants to stay outside, but now is insisting to come in at night(and always gets her way). Does any one give their dog pain meds and what kind. Poor baby, I know ibuprophin (sp) helps me, can I give her some? I really hope its not diplasia :waa:

2. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Bear in mind, the first symptom of tick disease (ehrlichiosis) my favorite and most beloved hound had was creakiness and arthritic stuff. :( Especially if this has come on suddenly and you're not using K9 Advantix, you might want to have a tick panel run. :(

Other than that, I have bursitis in one hip from being hit by a car when i was a kid. It causes me to get very creaky and messed up in my legs. I've discovered cod liver oil, though, is a miracle worker! :D I also just ordered some high lignan flaxseed oil and suspect it will be as good as the cod liver oil --- something like that would likely help your pup as well.

I can't take glucosamine because it sends my blood sugar totally out of whack. Some people swear by it for themselves and their pups, though. But watch for symptoms of blood sugar wackiness.

Don't use ibuprofen on dogs, but some baby aspirin is alright --- just don't use too much because it can mess up their tummies.

And let me say again, if this has come on suddenly, really do get a tick panel run on her. :(

3. mtmama

mtmama Well-Known Member

Vets can treat dogs with arthritis, there are pills they can give them. A friend gives her dog an herbal dog pill for arthritis, I don't know what kind, but you might do a google search for herbal animal meds.

4. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

My childhood pet was 16 when he dies. I gave him arthritis pills from the vet.

The ONLY over the counter painkiller that a dog can take is aspirin, and only the non-buffered kind. If you call his regular vet, he MIGHT tell you the aspirin dosage without examining the dog. Be prepared to give the dogs weight over the phone.

5. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

My buddy Buster has arthritis in his left hock. Our vet suggested we treat it with glucosamine and aspirin (5 gr/50 lbs of body weight). Reasonable exercise and weight loss have also helped him to feel better. (Wish I could lose the weight as easy as Buster did!) We feed him the cartilage from chicken bones (another good source of glucosamine).

He gets around pretty well, but still has his "off" days when the weather changes or he overdoes it chasing squirrels. If you live where your gal can swim. that can also be helpful. Alternating hot/cold packs is good, as is clinical massage therapy. (Yes, there are people who specialize in animal massage, and get great results.)

Best wishes to your furry friend!

Pony!

6. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Glucosamine and Chondriotin, along with a healthier diet.

My 10 or so year old dog was just like yours last year. Now she is perfectly fine, has a much shinier coat, and needs no more supplements. Her hips really hurt, sometimes she would just hold a leg completely in the air when she walked for several steps.

I now sell the dog food that helped her. What I did was I started her out on the Senior Plus dog kibble (she was overweight too, the senior plus contains Glucosamine and Chondroitin). Then after a few months put her on the Dog and Puppy kibble after she loss excess weight. I thought her joints stopped hurting her due to the weight loss, but after being off the Senior Plus Kibble for a month or so, she started to limp again. I then started giving her the Jubilee wafers (also contain Glucosamine and Chondroitin) as a treat. Within 2-3 weeks she was just fine again. After a few more months, I have weaned her back off of the Jubilee wafers, and she is fine now on the Dog and Puppy kibble alone. She hasn't required anything but healthy food for months.

I hate to sound like an advertisement, but that's what I feed my dogs, and it's great stuff.

Anyway, just get some Glucosamine and Chondroitin for dogs and give it a few months. Get her on a natural high quality (i.e. , no corn, no byproducts) dog food.

7. jackie c

Thanks for the prompt reply. She has limped for quite a while, about two years, not alot though. She is very big, and has very small/short legs for her size. She's kinda misproportioned. It just seems to bother her more every year. (I can relate) Is this tick disease treatable if she has it and whats a tick panel?
    I'll phone the vet Monday and see what I can get for her.
    Why is it that the sweetest living things are made to suffer, while the nastys sail through life with out a hitch?

8. jackie c

Every little bit helps, I'll do a search and see whats out there, thanks.

9. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Jacki, if this has been coming on for two years, then it isn't caused by tick disease! It's a caution I always give now, though --- my beloved houndie was 11-12 and, BOOM, all of a sudden was crickety as all get out. We just assumed he was getting older --- come to find out, it's a symptom of tick disease and commonly, commonly, commonly! assumed to be just a sign the pup is getting older! So i've learned to make that caution ---

I also noticed you're in Canada so likely don't have the tick problems --- or problems wityh tick disease --- we have here. We're a hotbed of it, both for critters and people!

I'd still talk to the vet though --- aspirin in good, but try the other stuff, too. And food DOES make a difference! I have my pups now on hunting formulas --- I go between Black Gold and Diamond brands, and they're really good.

The glucosamine is great, too --- i just can't take it, so am wary of it. But also the oils! Good oils are always a help!

10. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

11. Rivka

Rivka Well-Known Member

My GSD has two bad hips. When we rescued him he was on Rimadyll (sp?) a controversial steriod that has side effects. We tried human otc glucosamine with no real improvement. A holistic vet put him on GlycoFlex, a glucosomine + other stuff for dogs and he has been much better. It is pricey, but for us it is worth it.
    We use a raw diet and that has helped some as well.

12. jackie c

Thank you all for the wonderful advice! I will be changing her food pronto, and give her all that good cartlage. And I'll think we'll share a glucosamine suppliment.
    Sayde and I thank you very much :worship:

PS, I'll try to get a digital pic of her(Sayde) and her side kick Raven, They'er quite the pair!

13. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Jackie,
    It's not fun when the babies are hurting. :waa:
    I had a schnauzer who had arthritis for a while and we gave him baby aspirin to relieve some pain. He got pretty inactive Basically from old age. He lived to be 17. Sonja, the large boned Kuvasz had arthritis from having a broken hip when she was younger. The hip healed, but by age 12 she was slow moving from arthritis setting in the joint. Sugery helped her move more, but she too was on pills (antiinflammatory) to basically relieve pain.
    It could be your dog might have onset of hip dysplasia, or it may be from her disproportionate shape and more weight settling on an arthritic joint causing more disabiliity or pain. Ultimately, it would seem an x-ray at the vets would determine what's wrong. Good luck and hope Sayde gets better. :)

14. Rouen

Rouen Well-Known Member

just thought I'd add- baby aspirin if given to your dog for any length of time can and likely will cause liver damager and who knows what else.

15. Steph in MT

Steph in MT Well-Known Member

16. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

There was a recent report I heard on the news that a double blind study with a placebo and glucosamine didn't show any difference that glucosamine helped arthritis. This was of some shock to people like runners who also believed that taking glucosamine/chondroitin supplements would help their arthritic knee joints. :confused:

17. kathy H

kathy H kathyh

Probably the same people who did the study that said kids dont get hyper off sugar :p . I dont care what they found it works great for me and my bum knee.

18. dla

dla Well-Known Member

Check for Lyme. We just thought it was age for our shepherd. Hubby decided to give her some of the meds he couldn't stomach for Lyme, and she was like new.
    (Don't recommend the method, but do check for the disease...)

19. kjimmycrab

kjimmycrab New Member

I feel bad for your dog. I have a yellow lab that goes through the same thing. But dont give it tylenol or ibuprophin - its bad for their liver. You can give it baby aspirin and maybe think about giving it glucosamine chondroitin

20. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Yup. It is great, and there isn't anyone can tell me a glucosamine chondroitin mixture isn't good.