Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have an orchard of 30 apple trees that has not been touched in about 20 years. The trees do bare apples - however, the trees have not been pruned. We have lived in the house only 3 years, and I have not had time to work with the trees. I would like to rejuvinate them, is it possible? They produce the apples, but they are not really great. We let them drop to the ground for the deer - our reward in the past has been venision, however - I would love to try working with the apple trees so we are able to have fresh apples.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much, I am going to check out the websites!! :) Thats encouraging news... I've heard it is "possible" - but, I love first hand expreience. :D

·
Gadabout
2,727 Posts
I rejuvenated a bunch of old plum and apple trees. The fruit used to be tiny, but now it's great (and they make tons of it!). I don't know how crowded yours are, but I had to cut down about two thirds of my trees because they were so close together. The ones I left are still pretty close, but at least you can walk between them, now.

After thinning out the trees, I cut out all the dead wood. Then, the real pruning began. I prune in late winter, removing no more than one third of the branches each year, until I had them looking good. I still need to do one more pruning, next winter, but they are nearly there. The past two years, I've had lots of fruit, as I said, and the trees are much healthier. Also, I spray them with Neem oil.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts