Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I planted 8 okra plants this year (in April). My problem is that none of them are taller than 8"! I have always heard that okra is easy to grow, but I beg to differ :) None have any blooms. The weather here is very hot and dry. I have fertilized and they are well watered. The only strange thing that I have noticed is that the ants love them. They don't bother them in any way, but I'm wondering if they may have something to do with my problem. Any ideas?

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
I planted mine in May (Zone 6) Its about 5 foot tall and getting Okra every few days :shrug:

big rockpile

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Ants do love the okra plants.Don't know why.They don't seem to hurt them though just crawl on them. I think the little hairs collect dew and the ants drink it? No sure why you don't have any blooms yet. If your spring was as cold as ours they might have gotten a slow start. Never had a problem here with okra producing.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Take a small branch or some sort of stick and beat the okra plants. Just whip them around good but don't break them. I don't know why but it always works, they will start to grow and bloom. My husbands grandmother told me about this and I thought she was nuts but it worked.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replys. I live in central Calif.; the temps have been in the 90's and low 100's for weeks, so I don't think it is for lack of heat... it is a very dry heat though. I would try beating them, but I feel so sorry for the poor little things :) .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts