Oklahoma vs Arkansas

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by HarleysMom, Apr 8, 2005.

1. HarleysMom

HarleysMom Well-Known Member

Which is the best state to live in for someone wanting to live in a rural area near water (lake, river, stream, or pond) with large and small animals and no children? What aspects should I be considering? and what points do you think are important about each state? Has anyone lived in both states and have a preference? Thanks.

2. barnyardfun

barnyardfun Happy Homemaker Supporter

I live in NW Arkansas and I have relatives that live in Oklahoma.......personally I prefer Arkansas. It seems like Oklahoma is just so flat!! And it just goes on and on and on....... Arkansas has what we call Mountains but they are just really big hills! :D I think Arkansas seems greener and prettier. Guess its everyone opinion to their own though. But that is my opinion......I like Arkansas better.

3. woodsrunner

woodsrunner Well-Known Member

Having lived out that way in my early teens, I'd say the very northeast corner of Oklahoma. It's flat, but a rolling flat. And it rains there enough to be green most of the time. Unfortunately from what I've seen shopping online land is getting pricey there.

4. posifour11

posifour11 Well-Known Member

jobs are the biggest problem in arkansas, at least the part i was in. if you have a home business, it is great, i think.

oklahoma, i just dont like it (i live in OK now). jobs, again are a problem if you dont want to live near the big city. they both have thier job scarcity.

i love arkansas, you can find even a small place in the woods and hide from the world easily. oklahoma is too open for that and on top of that, there are a lot of okies here :haha:

5. HarleysMom

I forgot to add that jobs aren't an issue. Friendly people is important. Aren't Okies friendly? :D

6. There's a lot of Okies there????

Well I've lived here in N.E. Oklahoma since 1964 and I haven't met one yet!!! :confused:

I live just inside Oklahoma still in the foothills of the Ozark mountains so really I have the best of both states right here in my back yard.

7. Unregistered

Unregistered Well-Known Member

Try looking on the eastern side of Okla. Especially in the south eastern part. There is a lot of mountains, OK really hills, many lakes, rivers and streams. The people really do not care what you do or who you are.

8. HarleysMom

Are taxes cheaper in Oklahoma?

9. SouthernThunder

SouthernThunder Well-Known Member

Oklahoma has it all. Plenty of lakes and rivers and streams. Deserts and dunes, forrests and swamps, mountains and plaines. Even a couple of big cities to work in if you have to. I've lived in North East Oklahoma my whole life and have been all over the country and wouldn't rather be anywhere else but here. Only down side is if you want to get a tattoo, you gotta drive to Arkansas. :p

10. TrueAmerican

TrueAmerican New Member

If you're taking votes, mine is Arkansas. I think NW and North Central Arkansas is so much more beautiful than OK. SE Ok is not bad but not near as pretty as Arkansas.

11. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

We just made a trip to Harrison AR and it was wonderful. Green everywhere, Buck Shoals (sp) lake, prime entertainment 18 miles away in Branson, nice folks and plenty of very expensive ranch land (keeps the riff raff out) :haha:

12. HarleysMom

What would be the best areas to check out in SE OK?

13. woodsrunner

I always like LeFlore and Hugo counties in the south east. I haven't been that way in almost 20yrs though. I couldn't say how they are now.

14. GrammarGoddess

GrammarGoddess Member

In Johnston County Ok, taxes are very inexpensive. For our property (100 acres, no improvements) we pay 191.00 per year. I did not realize how inexpensive until a friend who lives on AK mentioned that if they bought a house, taxes would add nearly 200.00 per month onto their morgage.
    Atoka, Coal and Pushmataha counties are also nice.
    Amanda

15. woodsrunner

Want to feel real good about your taxes? I have a three bedroom 100yr old house on a dead end street in a small villiage. Lot is 66'x210'. Taxes are $2100 a year. A friend of mine built a small ranch on two acres a few years ago, in the next township over. His taxes are over $6,000 a year. He doesn't pay taxes, he pays rent to the town and county. And then they wonder why everyone moves away when they can.

16. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

i have been to both and we have a place in ar. i think ar. is the best out of the 2 of them nice water all over and very nice people

17. HarleysMom

Okay, how about recommendations for areas in northern Arkansas?

My taxes in NM for 40 acres and improvements are only about $177 a year but my sister who lives in upper NY state pays over $3000 a year. I know I will be paying more than I do now if I move to OK or AR but at least their taxes seem to be reasonable compared to some states.

18. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

our place is about 16 miles out side of mt. view small town called rushing we have a small house and 80 acres we pay 135 a year we dont have any out buildings yet im shure it will go up some but not much

19. mommymushbrain

mommymushbrain Well-Known Member

Ya, but Oklahoma is getting a lottery. :haha:

I prefer Arkansas for the one simple reason - no matter what I am doing, where I am, whenever I cross that border into Oklahoma, for some reason I ALWAYS get pulled over. Never happens in Arkansas... just Oklahoma. Must be the Arkie tags. :p

20. okgoatgal2

okgoatgal2 Well-Known Member

okla is a place where the wind blows, the weather is very changeable, and almost everyone i speak to has worse allergies when they are in this place. my vote would be for ar, any day of the week, anyplace north and west of conway. i don't know prices, etc, but the area is pretty, the people friendly, and down to earth, and normally accepting of "outsiders"
    okies, don't like "outsiders", and male chauvenism is still rampant. women are not expected to have good working brains or business ability in any rural area in okla, and those of us that do.....are not accepted easily.... i've lived here off and on (spent 5 yrs in the army most of it in lousyanna) for 18 yrs, and everywhere i've lived, this mindset is prevelant and accepted by the locals.
    the folks i've known in ark (and i've lived there, too) are nothing like this...arkies are much friendlier and open minded.