Oklahoma Steaders: Everybody OK??

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by angus, Jan 1, 2006.

1. angus

angus Somewhere in Oklahoma

Just wanted to check and see how everyone is doing??

2. OK Yankee

OK Yankee Well-Known Member

We are south of 40 and east of Indian Nation Turnpike. There has been a lot of smoke but no fires in close proximity. We're crossing our fingers. DD lives in Bixby and tonight there is a big fire in Jenks. We are praying for those folks.
    Yankee

3. TamInAz

TamInAz Well-Known Member

Keeping you all in prayer!!!

4. sapphira

sapphira Well-Known Member

We are really horrified this morn and last nite about the OK fires. Our prayers are with you and we will keep watch if we can do anything. No news station has said to donate to red cross or anything. S.

5. okgoatgal2

okgoatgal2 Well-Known Member

pray for rain. or snow. we need both. snow to have it cold enough (hopefully) to kill out some bugs, and rain to well,,,that's a no brainer :D

6. Okie-Dokie

Okie-Dokie Well-Known Member

Lots of smoke but no fire. Been lots of TV helecopters flying around the last few days. Wouldn't mind if the patures burned as long as no barns or houses were involved.

7. Hovey Hollow

Hovey Hollow formerly hovey1716

We're OK so far. We've only lived here a year and this is something we didn't really think about before we moved. I guess it's just watch and wait. I don't know how much watering we should be doing around the house and such. With the drought and all I'm worried about the well. Should I be? Would it run dry if we used to much? The pastures are all really short because of the critters but the neighbor's place is heavily wooded and loaded with leaf litter, down branches, etc.

8. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

Hovey: Perhaps you could save the water from the shower and tub and water around with that. I save the water from dishwashing (soon from clothes washing) and the water that gets wasted while you are waiting for water to heat up or cool down.

9. FarmboyBill

FarmboyBill Well-Known Member Supporter

Sure glad Ive outgrown my asthma. Yesterday afternoon late, The sky looked like it could snow. The sun was gone, and you could sure smell the smoke. I called my dad up in NE Kansas, and he asked if I was near the fires. I said Heck, I didnt know. He said they was down by Okla City. I said well, thats 100 miles away therebouts. Last night at church, I found out I could have taken one 0 off that number as there was a fire 10 milesa away, but they had got it put out. Now I heart 2 has taken its place lol. Nothing here close tho. Creek Co, Okla

10. Doing okay here in Delaware county. Last night they reported on t.v. that there was a wildfire somewhere around Muskogee. That's just about an hours drive south, southwest, of us and we could smell the smoke up here. But so far in my general area there have been no fires which is amazing for us around here. "Knock on wood"!