Oklahoma Fall Corn?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Ariel, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Ariel

Ariel Active Member

Any of you Okie gardners plant fall corn? If you do, when do you plant and which variety do you choose? I'm in Okmulgee county where a lot of people around here say their corn is burning up.

2. Ariel, a guy up the road from me use to plant a fall crop of corn. His corn patch was always small and I would see him out there every evening spraying them down with a garden hose. I don't think it would be worthy if you have to water them everyday. I have always heard that if you do it right you could harvest corn 3 times a year here in Oklahoma. I have tried replanting in early July and ended up losing all my plants because of our annual summer heat drought which sometimes doesn't let up till October. It may cool off before October gets here but sometimes we don't get any rain till about the middle of October. Then we know frost is real close!

I do remember when I was a kid my mom planted a late spring garden. She didn't get her corn in till about the end of May. When our summer drought hit she had me out there everyday tilling the ground in between the rows. She said as long as we keep tilling everyday it will draw the moisture up from deep in the ground and will keep watering the roots. She was right cause we had a good harvest of corn that late summer.

I also know that if you keep piling the dirt up around the stock as the corn grows it will keep moisture and nutrients around the roots. I believe the hardest part would be to get the corn plant up and growing.