Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
wife,mom,taxi driver,cook
6,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
tradition foods that others think are odd? With me (and now my kids) its sugar biscuits. Dh won't touch them with a 10' pole...have to amke him egg biscuits when we have this. Growing up we spent every weekend at my grandparents until my grandfather died. One of the "special" things we got (as in my mother did not make) was buttered biscuits with sugar in them. I still to this day love a sugar biscuit! Of course there were other things too...when my grandfather hunted rabbit or squirrel the brains and the kidneys were always fought over by us kids. Now I haven't passed that on to my kids.... livermush though is another story. Dh will barely sit at the table with us when we eat livermush...never mind eat it himself! He doesn't care much for cornbread either though........silly man! And a piece of real hoop cheese and biscuits can be a meal for me. Ok now I have to go find real hoop cheese and make some cornbread!

·
Premium Member
3,266 Posts
I fry up chicken livers in onions, let it cool then chop it in the food processor add mayo and chopped olives and spread it on crackers. I also love toast with ketchup. Oh and I refuse to eat egg salad that doesnt have olives in it.

·
Premium Member
1,353 Posts
I am from the south and I married a Yankee. He will not touch neckbones, collards, souse, liver mush, chittlings, or pig's feet. He also refuses bulk sausage (Banner), tripe, and herring roe. He just doesn't know what he is missing.
I have to stock up on these when we make our yearly trips back to NC.

·
Premium Member
10,703 Posts
Norwegians have ther delicacies too, that folks wont eat...

must be time to make some lefsa.

·
Waste of bandwidth
10,618 Posts
When I eat chili, I rarely use a spoon. Well, except for using one to stack it on top of a saltine cracker.

So, when we're at someone elses house and they serve chili, my wife always leans over to me and whispers, "If you eat the chili like you eat it at home, I will kill you."

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
My family and I all like the same foods, except for anchovies. I love anchovies but the rest of my family HATES them. Nothing really strange here, but there are some regional foods, having grown up in New England. I was raised eating peanut butter and bacon sandwiches, peanut butter and sugar sandwiches, and mayo and banana sandwiches. I was also raised eating "american chop suey".

My husband, being from Utah, has taught me the delights of Navajo tacos and "scones" (indian fry-bread).

·
wendys_goats
398 Posts
DH is from Mexico and one of the things we eat is Menudo. Most people think it's gross

·
Premium Member
18,153 Posts
Norwegians have ther delicacies too, that folks wont eat...

must be time to make some lefsa.
And dontcha love this time of year? All the sweet ol' Lutheran church basement ladies are having thier lutefisk and Swedish meatball fund raising suppers around here.....yum!

·
Also known as Jean
1,509 Posts
Ginnie --- one of my dad's fondest memories was of his mother's homemade bread, sliced hot from the oven, and spread with butter and sugar. Must be very like your sugar biscuits!

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
We have the ole timey hoop cheese (real) for breakfast every Christmas morning. Our son would get in his car and drive the 130 miles back home without breakfast if there was no softened hoop cheese to spread on his hot biscuits.

sgg

·
Suburban Homesteader
2,558 Posts
Our favorite "odd" dish is sauerbraten which is basically a chunk of beef soaked in seasoned vinegar and wine for a few days before cooking. I grew up with it, and DH (much to my surprise) developed quite a fondness for it from the time he tried my Mom's cooking.

I love bread dumplings (cubes of bread bound together with egg and a bit of salt & pepper, then boiled) but DH can't stand them.

·
Premium Member
10,703 Posts
And dontcha love this time of year? All the sweet ol' Lutheran church basement ladies are having thier lutefisk and Swedish meatball fund raising suppers around here.....yum!
Dont forget blood sausage...yum.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Sausage or hamburger gravy on fried potatoes, suet pudding (my family is English), homemade chicken and dumplings or chicken and homemade noodles, roasted heart (elk, venison or beef), probably more, but their not coming to mind right now.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts