Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
rice, beans & flour have been in the freezer for 2 weeks, I have the mylar bags and buckets with lids, but what next?

I have been afraid to seal the items in the bag, becaise it seems, to me, that there may be some type of moisture from freezing that I wouldn't want sealed in the bags.

Should I wait a while after removing items from freezer, before sealing in the bags?

Thank you

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Yes, let the freezer foods thaw and come to room temp before sealing. I took some spaghetti from the freezer and sealed it in a bag and next thing I know it's moldy. Thankfully I learned from a single box of food instead of ruining a lot.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I just wanted to say "hi" since I have never known anyone who spelled their name just like I do. Most have an "e" on the end. Hello, from one Lauri to another.....LOL

·
In Remembrance
28,242 Posts
If there is a lot of humidity in the air when you take the package out of the freezer, slide it into a trash bag till it comes to room temp. Then take the package out of the trash bag and let it sit at least a day in a dry area. Turn it over several times to make sure any moisture is gone from the bottom too. I prefer to put the package inside the trash bag before freezing since that cuts down on the amount of moisture that can enter the package.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Logbuilder....
It is my understanding with the O2 packets that I will put a few in the mylare bag (through out the rice/flour....) before sealing. And that any unused ones should be sealed up in a zip lock bag.

Is this correct?

I am also thinking I have to use my clothes iron to seal shut the mylar bags, could I use a vac sealer too?

Thanks for the previous replies, I appreciate the help with the new to me method of storing food.

Lauri

1 - 6 of 6 Posts