Okay, so I told my mother...

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Niki, May 13, 2006.

1. Niki

Niki mini-steader

...that this weekend I am going to make my own laundry detergent.

Her: (She raised her eyebrows and said) "okaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay?" :shrug:

Me: And I am going to make butter

Her: (her face lit up) "oooooooooooooooooooooh! What are you going to make it with?"

Me: Uhhh....cream

Her: Oh.

Me: and since buttermilk is a by-product of the butter making process, I will probably also make some buttermilk biscuits, too!

Her: OOOOOOOOOOOOH!!!! (big grin)

Me: Yes, that's right. That means you get some of each. :rolleyes:

Moms...ya gotta luv 'em. LOL

2. beorning

beorning Well-Known Member

I got pretty much the same response when I told my Mom that I was going to get some worms for the basement. Her eyes glazed over at the explanation, and she ended the conversation with " whatever makes you happy, honey" :)

3. Niki

Niki mini-steader

LOL...uh, honey, do tell! Why worms for the basement? I think my eyes have glazed over, too! :)

4. beorning

beorning Well-Known Member

LOL. I have rabbits, and worms (red wigglers to be specific) eat rabbit poop and make nice castings for the garden. I also live in a cold area, and traditional composting ends when it freezes. Worms in the basement will eat all of my compostables through the winter, and make more of those lovely garden friendly worm castings out of it. I also fish alot, and will always have free bait. When we move more rurally, I'll have chickens, which will get worms to eat as a supplement to feed.

The worms will be contained, in trays under the rabbit hutches and in a couple of bins for other composting. Heck, I just saw that Wal-mart even sells "magic worm farms" in the sporting goods section for fishermen to raise their own bait in. For $8, you can buy a green colored styrofoam cooler and some peat moss. Or you can do it yourself for a lot less.

Here's a link on vermiculture ( which is what the worm snobs call worms in the basement :) ) :

http://www.earth911.org/master.asp?s=lib&a=organics/composting/wormcompost.asp

5. Niki

Niki mini-steader

Ah, red wigglers...the cadillac of worms you know ;) hehehe

Thanks for the explanation. It makes a lot of sense!

6. dcross

dcross Well-Known Member Supporter

I was disappointed by my mother's lack of reaction when I told her I was getting bees:)

7. eulabes

eulabes full time daydreamer

I haven't found anyone (off internet) family or friends that supports my homesteading/self-reliant ideas. :(

8. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

I call my mother for advise on stuff like this! We love to share information (she was an organic gardener way before it became "stylish"). And now my daughter is calling me for advice, as in, "What kind of fertilizer do I need to get for my new plants?" and me, "Just pour your aquarium water on it when you clean the fish tank" and her, "Oh, so that's why that spot in the back yard is greener!".

:)

9. Cheryl in SD

Cheryl in SD Living in the Hills Supporter

I find I tell people things like this just to see their faces. My warped sense on fun.

Joyfully,
    Cheryl

10. Niki

Niki mini-steader

I am enjoying this thread and hearing how each of you cope with your weird lifestyles :D

eulabes...you will meet someone like-minded. Sometimes it just takes more time than what we would like. Hugs!

11. Beltane

Beltane Enjoying Four Seasons

Just think about how we'll have the last laugh when we're prepared and have the 'know how' and they don't. :)

12. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

One of my sisters used to call me for advice about her garden and poultry all the time, but I think now she's got enough experience that she's doing pretty well on her own! I think we've all called my grandmother for advice on canning and stuff like that. (Would have called Mom, but she and my stepfather lived way out in the desert and didn't have a phone for several years.)

I get a better reaction here in Oregon than I used to in NH. All my friends there were pretty much town people. Here, we actually know other people who have gardens and animals, which is really neat.

Kathleen

13. Niki

Niki mini-steader

I'm not sure I will have the "last laugh". When that day comes to put us to the test, it truly saddens me to think that so many people are not going to make it regardless of whether it was ignorance, laziness or greed that kept them from preparing, it's just sad. :(

14. Beltane

Beltane Enjoying Four Seasons

I know...I worry too.... :(

15. Niki

Niki mini-steader

16. holleegee

holleegee Well-Known Member

My family usually responds by saying...."you know you can buy that stuff at the store."

When I learned to spinn wool they said
    Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy yarn

when I bought chickens they said
    Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy eggs, meat

When I bought rabbits they said
    Who could eat a cute little bunny

When I put my bunny poo in the garden they said
    You are going to eat veggies that grew in rabbit poo?

My mom & sister will not eat my chicken eggs because they don't know how long they have been outside (I go every morning around 8:00 to collect them) they said how do you know they didn't lay them last night? They also think frest eggs taste funny.

They also thought I would die of some strange disease when I drank goats milk.

They think my compost heap is unsightly

Yes I am the oddball of my family but I have always been a little "weird" according to them.

I'd better stop but I could go on and on.

Luckily my husband supports me 100% on my "homesteading" ideas no matter how strange they sound. (except for when I wanted to spend our life savings and buy into the alpaca pyramid, I guess he helps me keep my head on straight.)