Okay, ladies...give me your hysterical-ectomy stories...

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by kesoaps, Jan 9, 2007.

1. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

I've finally come to the conclusion that left to 'natural' alternatives my body would just kill me off and be done with it. So I'm off to a pre-op appt tomorrow. We've got a D&C scheduled for Friday, however I've asked to have the full meal deal instead; I've told them I'm wanting to have a reproductive organ sale :rolleyes: They say insurance doesn't like to pay for it unless the D&C is tried first, but the dr thinks my past history should be sufficient enough evidence that I need to just get it over with. After tomorrow I guess I'll find out one way or the other.

In the meantime...talk to me! I think I'm going to ask for the ovaries to be taken as well as I tend to cramp up and it keeps me awake at night...plus let's face it, they're doing nothing else but planning on how they can best make cancer now that they're done making babies. Again, insurance doesn't want to pay for anything it doesn't have to...

So tell me the good, the bad, and the very, very ugly :p

2. myheaven

myheaven Well-Known Member Supporter

I have just been completly healed with zone therpy. I have suffered for the last 16 year with super heavy periods and debilitating pain. its all gone now. I just ovulated and had no pain my last period was so light I only needed panty liners. I have seveir endometrieosis and pocos. Praise god im healed.
    They wanted to do a hystorectomy last year but I refused. The change is JUST AWESOME!!!!!!! Praise god I am healed.
    No exp My sister just had one (hyst) and had a very hard time recovering. Good luck.

3. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

About two years ago, at age 48, I started bleeding one month and just didn't stop. It got worse and worse, so that finally I realized something had to be done. Unfortunately, the doctor's office refused to take me seriously, saying they could squeeze me in "the end of the month." In desperation, I went to Family Practice, where the doctor did not even bother to examine me, but charged me $55 to call and make the appointment at the gynecologist office that couldn't see me, for the following week! By then I had, literally, almost bled to death. My blood count was alarmingly low. I had to stop and rest half-way to the barn and could barely do chores.

The gynecologist looked at me and said, you are visibly anemic, let's do a blood count to see how low you are. Then he checked me, and said, are you sure you aren't miscarrying? It's heavier than I thought it would be.
    Then he sent me home.

When I finally was called to come back in, on Thursday, he informed me that I would require blood transfusions to stabilize me before it would be safe to do the surgery. I was beside myself, because if they would've seen me when I first told them I needed help, I would not have required transfusions. He assured me I would die if I didn't, so I did. Four units, pumped in ice cold. I found out afterward they can warm the blood, they just didn't bother. :help:

I had problems you probably will not have because I (and by I, I mean the doctors) let it go too long, and I was at death's door going into surgery.
    I am thankful we have the technology now to do the surgery, so that I am alive to tell the story. I felt the same way as you, I guess, about the ovaries. Doctor said he'd take them, and I was fine with it. I've always heard ovarian cancer is difficult to detect before it is too late.

About the first 12 hours after surgery, for me, was very painful. But after that, the pain was managable. I needed the full six weeks for recovery, and wasn't able to do much during that time. You will not be able to drive for about that long, so you'll need someone to help you with chores, etc.

4. giddy

giddy Well-Known Member

Well, I'm 51 now. At 25 I had a hysterectomy because of a fibroid tumor. I say if you get the opportunity to have one, go for it. I have never regretted it at all. I had a partial at 25, they left my ovaries, then in 8 years at 33 they had to take them.

5. giddy

giddy Well-Known Member

Also, 2 years ago my daughter that was 25 at the time was diagnosed with cervical cancer, they did a cone biopsy thinking that would take care of it. Last year she had to have a hysterectomy. No kids and never been married.

6. giddy

giddy Well-Known Member

The first surgery for me at 25, you were pretty much down for at least 6 weeks, was in hospital for 10 days. Now you only stay maybe one night if that in the hospital. When they say you are not to lift anything, they mean anything heavier than a coffee cup. You cannot lift laundry, kids, anything heavier than that for at least 6 weeks. You can drive after about 2 or 3 weeks I think. The surgery is really not that bad. You are sore but nothing you can't handle. You will tire out pretty fast after surgery also. Hope that helps!

7. frogmammy

frogmammy Well-Known Member Supporter

My uterus prolapsed when I was 25 and the uterus alone was removed at that time. Just turned 60 and either have a fibroid uterus (???? thought I left THAT in Dallas!!!!) or an ovary problem...tests tomorrow ought to tell me which. I don't think I'm going to like the tests!

Anyway...ovarys never caused any problems...and MAY not be now.

Mon

8. Anniebek

Anniebek Well-Known Member

I had a D&C before my hysterectomy. I told my Dr it was like painting a house before you burned it down...lol. They took my ovaries when they did my hysterectomy because I had PCOS and I requested it. I didn't want a cyst to rupture a year after my surgery and have to have another surgery. I was canning pears four weeks after my abdominal hysterectomy. This is NOT common! I heal very quickly! Make sure you take it easy and listen to your body. It will tell you what you need.

I tried HRT after my surgery, but I didn't like the way it made me feel. My surgery was four and a half years ago and I have been off HRT for four of those years. I have had no side effects from this. Remember, everyone and every surgery is different. You will hear totally different stories from each woman that has had this surgery...you have to follow your conscience and listen to your body. Oh, in the beginning I had some severe vaginal dryness...think sandpaper up there! I requested a hormone creme that is inserted. I didn't use all of the first prescription before my body took over and started lubricating itself again. I still need extra lubrication when my DH and I get friendly, but he takes care of that and it isn't a big deal.

Anniebek

9. diamonds

diamonds Well-Known Member

Total hysterectomy 5 years ago at 41. Day one was horrible but each day I felt alittle better. I do not do hormone therapy either. KY will become your best friend :p

10. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Best thing that ever happened to me! I was 38 and had a softball-sized tumor on my right ovary and a thumbnail sized one in my uterus. During surgery the doc discovered my left ovary had grown into the abdominal wall. She was able to save that ovary. Depending on your age the doctor will probably want to save the ovaries if possible. I have never regretted having a hysterectomy.

11. kevyb

kevyb Well-Known Member

i had a hysterectomy a little over a year ago. i am so happy to not be doing the monthly thing anymore!!!! i kept my ovaries. i've had alot of trouble with moods and depression so doc said he wanted to leave the ovaries if possible.
    i've had 3 c-sections, so my hyst was done abdominally. i was really worried about how it was going to affect my "private" time with my dh----i felt pretty shallow until i discovered that everyone worried about that. except for the lack of periods, if i didn't KNOW i had had surgery----i wouldn't know i had had surgery.
    i had mine because my periods had become so heavy i had gotten pretty anemic (not as bad as mary!) turns out i had adenomiosis-----the opposite of endometriosis.

12. tonasket

tonasket Well-Known Member

At 23(16 years ago) I went in for a D&C, woke up having had a total hysterectomy, people were crying, wouldn't tell me what happened, finally I cornered my mom, and she told me, when they went in,vaginally, they ran into a cantaloupe size cancerous tumor coming out of my cervix, too risky to bring me out for consent so they had my husband, mom, and mother inlaw all sign consent forms for a complete hyst. once i realized i could've died (blood loss and cancer) and not been here to raise my daughter i was just fine. recovery was not too bad, just sore tummy muscles as they had been cut through, i healed up quite nicely, a good friend told me to not listen to the rumors about not being sexy or feeling feminine, heck "IT" was so much better than it had been for years, no pain, i could wear white pants every day, no hormone therapy and i am still pretty healthy, and still happy and here. I highly recommend a hysterectomy to all my friends. Good luck and my prayers to you for a safe procedure and healing quickly.

13. kesoaps

So glad to hear positive endings. I'm relatively nervous about the ovary issue and hrt, but seems you either face cancer situations by keeping the ovaries or by taking drugs to help ease the issues afterwards. Sheesh...ain't being a woman grand?

Mary, I understand completely where you're coming from in terms of blood loss. I had the same thing happen two years ago; some heavy bleeding followed by months of somewhere between spotting and light bleeding, with a break in between. I didn't think a whole lot of it because there didn't seem to be a lot of blood beyond the first week. But my body was adjusting gradually to the loss until one day I was standing in the parking lot at KMart and realized I was barely able to walk to the store. I leaned on the cart all the way through, and barely made it back outside. Told DD I needed to see a dr, but dh was unemployed so I had to see the assigned clinic...who'd never seen me before and got all stinky. I told them they had no choice but to see me, so they squeezed me in. My blood count was down to 17 :eek: They were actually amused that I'd been out delivering lambs that morning (and in hindsight, I guess I am too, lol!) But they never really gave me any clue as to what to do in the future should it happen again.

Thankfully, I've not been so bad as to need a transfusion again, but I've dipped pretty low and this week was taking three of my iron pills a day to get me through. It's been murder trying to get a dr to pay attention over the holidays, though, as they've all been working short weeks and one called to say she was headed to the mountain and no she wouldn't give me any more progesterone as she thought I needed to deal with the problem in a more aggressive manner. I was pretty ticked off...I mean, a three day weekend and I just wanted the bleeding to stop before I was in serious trouble! :shrug: I seriously think if someone would have allowed me to do progesterone for a full 21 days between periods that perhaps my body may have been able to re-orgainize...but no one seems to want to let me try, and I'm not really into bleeding to death... :rolleyes:

14. zookeeper16

zookeeper16 Karaoke Queen

I had an emergency D & C in October and then a hysterectomy in November (had to wait a month because I almost bled to death!). I'm now 2 months post op and feeling absolutely wonderful. They do say it takes 3-6 months to get back to normal but the only side affects I feel is being tired more easily and often. I'd say go for it, but keep your ovaries.

The surgery is only a 23 hour inpatient procedure. Take the smoothest riding vehicle you have home because you will feel every bump. Also bring a pillow with you; its more comfortable in the hospital and its great to hold against your abdomin on the way home. I rested the first two days and took the pain killers. The third day I was up and moving and on Ibuprofin only. Walk as soon as you can and as much as you can because that helps "move things along" internally.

If you need any other tips or pointers, check out www.hystersisters.com. It was a wealth of information for me.

15. mommagoose_99

mommagoose_99 Well-Known Member

Hey , I had a hysterectomy a couple of years ago. There was nothing to it. Whatever drug they gave me to knock me out made me very manic. As soon as I got rid of my IV I was up and walking all over the hospital. Wonderful drugs they gave me. I had had a 21 cm fibroid which caused heavy bleeding and shortness of breath. I felt so much better after it was gone. Sex is different now, so much less pain. There is a different sensation than before but its still good. I was at the age that I was already going through menopause and after the operation I had hot flashes for about a year and now nothing. I can not take hormone replacement because my mother and grandmother both died of breast cancer but it was not necessary any way. Good luck with your operation and don't worry too much about it. I am sure everything will work out just fine.
    LInda

16. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

I still have my uterus and ovaries. But after years of heavy, prolonged bleeding and pain, my doctor decided that for me a Uterine Endometrial Ablation would solve the problem forever.

It did. I'd recommend it for any woman no longer wanting children and near/at menopause. Of course, if you have fibroids or other problems, it might not be the answer.

It involves full anaesthetic, the complete lining of the uterus is removed down to the muscle tissue. I had a little cramping for a couple of days afterwards, and they kept me in overnight because I live alone (and they insist that you are not alone for the first 24 hours after an anaesthetic); there was a little spotty bleeding for a couple of days. Then - FREEDOM!!!

I was told that even though my ovaries and uterus are to all intents and purposes non-functional, they still continue(d) to produce certain hormones. I suggest you speak to your doctor about this. I must say that I breezed through menopause without even noticing it, but whether it was because I'd retained those organs or because I was lucky, I can't say with authority. I think it helped.

17. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

You've mentioned cancer a couple of times. Do you have a family history of ovarian/uterine cancers?

Unless there was a strong indication against it, I think I'd want to keep my ovaries because they do continue to produce hormones. As Culpeper stated, so does the uterus, but you have to weigh the options on that one.

Pony!

18. SunsetSonata

SunsetSonata Broken Dreamer Supporter

Mary, your story really made me angry. I have a similar but not as drastic story, about my standing order blood tests that go to 3 different doctors. The doctor who orders the test is, of course, supposed to follow up on abnormal readings - after all, he orders the test for a reason. It's not the job of the other doctors to follow up, as they received the results just as a courtesy to keep their own records up to date. Twice (2 different tests at 2 different times), the other doctors (actually their nurses) called to ask if the ordering doctor had contacted me. When I said no, they told me to give that office a call as I needed to be taken care of. I did but still did not get a reply for days, both times. Nurses and doctors from the more responsible offices were disgusted, as they actually cared about their jobs and their patients, because I was in need of transfusions and should have gotten prompt attention!

I'm not big on lawsuits but most doctors are afraid of them, and you might be able to use this for your advantage. It's too bad you didn't send that $55 bill to your gyn, now that they know the error of their cavalier attitude. After all, that is a bill you should not have had to pay, as you did WHAT YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO DO originally and was pushed aside. You say you were desperate so do I assume too much to think you relayed your urgency to that office when you originally tried to get an appointment? To a doctor, paying $55 would be tons better than even the mere threat of a lawsuit. Just a thought, anyway.

19. kesoaps

No history, just fear :p And history has to begin somewhere, right?

I'm supposed to go in today for a pre-op, but it's snowing pretty good right now and the temps are dropping to below freezing...I don't drive in this type of weather so hopefully I can have a phone conversation with the dr to determine the best route. I really don't want to mess with the D&C, as they just aren't reliable and as long as I'm going under, I want it to count :rolleyes:

20. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

Sounds like you've had enough misery already. For me, the hysterectomy was hard because I was so bad off going into it. But since recovering, I have not had any problems. I do not take the hormone therapy, and don't miss having periods! My moods aren't any worse than they ever were. I know everyone is different, but for me, that hasn't been a problem.

When I went in, the nurse told me, 'they are going to want to do an epidural. Don't let them. Get general, and Don't Tell Them I said So!' lol. I told her, not to worry, I had trouble with my last epidural and didn't want another one. So I did general. Whatever they are doing for general now is MUCH better than how they did it 20 years ago. It lasts as long as it needs to, and you come out of it quickly.

Like I said, I was miserable the first day, but was able to get up and walk the hospital halls after that. For me, I went in Thursday for the transfusions, had the surgery on Friday, and came home on Sunday. You'll need a lot of help coming home, and someone else to do the meals, etc. After the first few days, I was a little better every day, though for me the full recovery did take six weeks. First grocery shopping trip, six weeks post, was difficult. The next one was better. I did plant a garden a couple of months after surgery. :)