Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
STILL not Alice
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The cute little Dutch doe has been pulling fur. Does this mean she's hot and sweaty, or do you think I was correct in putting the nest box and some hay in there with her?

I took the fur that she pulled and placed in the nest box with some hay; she's eating the hay.

How can I tell if she's pregnant? She'll let me feel her belly, but I don't know what I'm looking for.

TIA,
Pony!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I don't know that I have heard of a doe pulling hair because she is hot. My money would be on her being about to kindle, though with a false pregnancy they will pull hair as well.

Also, you will also often see them with hay in their mouth. We say that they have hay-bones, when they are carrying around a mouthful. This seems to be part of their nesting behavior.

Russ
www.marchharesrabbitry.com

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
With my does, they usually pull a little fur about 24 hours before they kindle. Then when it is time, they really get into the spirit of things and pull a lot more.

If she is eating the hay, be sure to add more. You want her to have lots of nesting materials. With a little luck you'll be posting about her kits by this time tomorrow.

·
STILL not Alice
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MaggieJ said:
With my does, they usually pull a little fur about 24 hours before they kindle. Then when it is time, they really get into the spirit of things and pull a lot more.

If she is eating the hay, be sure to add more. You want her to have lots of nesting materials. With a little luck you'll be posting about her kits by this time tomorrow.

Thanks, Maggie and Russ, for the input.

How much is "enough" hay? I mean, should I fill her cage? ;)

Hope it's not a false alarm. I'm not getting my hopes up, but we did just go out there and put what we hope is a sufficient amount of hay.

Pony!

·
Registered
387 Posts
When I have a doe that has never kindled for me before I fill the cage with hay on the bottom, so that I don't have kits on the wire. When I know they will put them in the box, then I just put the hay in the box next time. good luck

·
Registered
95 Posts
We just put the hay in the box, worry about them eating soiled hay and getting Coccidia if you fill the cage. If she has already put hay in the box, chances are really good that she will use the box if she is going to kindle.

Do you know when she was bred?

Tonya
March Hares Rabbitry

·
STILL not Alice
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
March Hare said:
We just put the hay in the box, worry about them eating soiled hay and getting Coccidia if you fill the cage. If she has already put hay in the box, chances are really good that she will use the box if she is going to kindle.

Do you know when she was bred?

Tonya
March Hares Rabbitry
Well, she had been living in the same cage as the buck before we got her a couple weeks ago, and I know that they mated once when we got them home. (Long story, but wondered at the time about the possibility of her aborting if she was pregnant).

:shrug: She could be in false pregnancy, she could be pregnant, she could be scamming me... :O I'll just have to keep an eye on her to see what happens.

What would her belly feel like if she was pregnant?

Pony!

·
Registered
831 Posts
Pony said:

What would her belly feel like if she was pregnant?

Pony!
Depends on the stage of gestation.

I palpate at day 20 (due to timing for false pregnancies).
For my NZ and CALS, I can feel a bulge (firm spot)on their right
side. I'm only interested in determining pregnancy, not the #
of kits.

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
If she's pulling hair she should have udders by now.

·
STILL not Alice
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SquashNut said:
If she's pulling hair she should have udders by now.

No WAY!! LOL!

I wish you could see the picture that just popped into my head when I read "udders." I mean...

Yeah.

These udders would look like...? A lactating canine, I should think, more than a creature of the bovine or caprine persuasion?

Pony!

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
yes,Like a cat or dog. sorry was'nt sure what to call them.

·
Enjoying Polish Rabbits
1,219 Posts
SquashNut - that would be the usual case. However, this last doe that I had kindle (her first time) still doesn't have anything noticeable, and her kits are 20 days old! Go figure!

The only one definite rule about rabbits is that there will always be a rabbit that doesn't follow the rules!!!

·
Premium Member
6,144 Posts
We had one doe that we could only put the hay on the wire. She would put it in the nest box herself. If we put it in the nest box, she seemed to get rather disgusted and would dig a bunch out and completely rearrange it anyway. You could almost hear her thoughts "stupid humans, like they would know anything about building a proper nest"

·
STILL not Alice
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
turtlehead said:
Pony, what's going on with that wabbit?
Any more nesting activities?

I don't think so. She moved the nesting box from one side of the cage to the other, but doesn't seem to be doing anything else. I have about decided to pull the box. Think I should give it another day or so?

Have problems getting the Californians together. Still not working, so I have to go check out that thread. Also found some soreness on the Cal doe's rear legs, so I need to go find some fresh hay/straw for bedding, and get some ointment on those tender spots. Better search to see what other info is on here for that.

This rabbit thing is not as easy as I thought it would be. ;)

Pony!

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
Pony, if the Cal doe has sore hocks, that could well be why she is refusing the buck's amourous advances. I'd consider giving her some time to heal up and then trying again.

As for the nest box... leave it for a day or two? What harm, after all? The worst that will happen is she will use it for a potty and you'll have to clean it. Better that than pulling it and then having her kindle on the wire.

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
I would leave the nest box in. Next time put a card board liner in it to make it easier to clean.
I just had a doe miss and I'll be taking the nest box out 4 days after her due date. She went back with the buck yesterday.

·
STILL not Alice
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
When I got back from work, and after we treated the Cal's hocks, we checked out the Dutch doe. She's pulled more fur, moved the box again, but doesn't seem any closer to doing anything serious. :shrug:

Decided to take her out of her cage and have a look. Of course, I don't really know what I was looking for; guessed that maybe her vulva would be swollen, or we'd see kits wriggling around her belly? Her belly is very firm, don't know if that's significant or not.

No harm in leaving the box in there with her, as it does seem to give her some entertainment. ;)

Maybe tomorrow, there will be little kits in there. I doubt it, but <shrug> You never know. :)

Pony!

·
STILL not Alice
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Alright, I think the doe is messing with my head.

She stopped pulling fur for a few days, but now she's back at it with a vengeance. We've put lots of lovely dry straw in there with her, she loves pretending she's a goat with the nest box (climbing all over it, standing on top of it, moving it around), but she's not kindling!

Any suggestions on what I should do? Maybe I should just bring her to the buck and get her serviced again?

I am so confused...

But I did bring the lop to the cal the other day, and THAT went well. At least now I know what it's supposed to look like!!

Pony!

·
Enjoying Polish Rabbits
1,219 Posts
OK. This is what I would do. For the time being I would humor her - let her play her games if that's what it is, and have the next box in case she's going to kindle. I would leave the box until you have passed 34,35 days after you saw them mate when you got them home. If she hasn't kindled by then, pull the box, and start over.

Continue to watch her though, and make note of her behaviour - just so that when/if you get in this situation again, you can look back and remind yourself what she did this time round!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts