Okay, here's a weird one

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Pony, Aug 14, 2006.

1. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

I went out to the garden today, determined that if the really nice, lovely, lush, and leafy zucchini plants were not forthcoming with some fruit, then they would be ripped out from the ground, unceremoniously dumped on the compost heap, and replaced with turnip seed.

Well, no zucchini. LOTS of male flowers, but no female fruits. :badmood:

I ripped them from the ground [strongbad and dragged them out to the back of the yard.

I looked at the base of the plants, and lo and behold! SQUASH VINE BORERS!!! Now, you may recall that I dug those little {fill in the blank} earlier in the season. I must have missed something... :confused:

The plants looked healthy. They were going like gangbusters. But they were infested with the borers and did not produce fruit. :flame:

Any ideas on this?

Pony!

2. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

no, but don't feel too bad. i lost two of my five plants...the two nicest ones. :grump:

3. Pony

I just don't get how the plants could be so healthy with that infestation of those nasty grubby things.

In the past, the leaves wilted and looked awful and never recovered...

Oh, NO!!! I have alien plants!!!

Pony!

4. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

REALLY? Maybe that's what's going on with my acorn squash.

Quick condolences as I run out to check my garden (zoom!)

5. Barb

Barb Well-Known Member

With deep sympathy and out of the goodness of my heart I will send you FREE (postage not included) zucchini and even throw in some summer squash and roly poly squash.

6. Pony

So, Turtlehead, how does it look out in your garden?

And Barb, thanks for the lovely offer, but I don't think the zucchini would be in very good shape by the time it got here... ;)

Pony!

7. turtlehead

Oh. My. Heavens.

Um. :eek:

I have squash bugs. I mean, I have SQUASH BUGS. :eek: And nymphs. And eggs. :Bawling:

I'd seen some of the adults and mistakenly thought they were spiny soldier bugs. I was happy to see them. :bash: I've never had squash bugs before. :shrug: Those critters are EVERYWHERE on my acorn squash (especially the sick one which I just ripped out) and they're setting up housekeeping in my yellow crooknecks. The butternut is doing okay for now (I've read it's resistant to squash bugs so no surprise there).

It's like an alien landscape under my squash leaves, all those bizarre nymphs running around. I got as many as I could - squished the little ones, dumped the big ones in soapy water (ick, too big to squish!). I'm gonna research how else to deal with them. :nerd:

I used lots of smileys just for you, Pony. Thanks for asking.

8. Barb

Barb Well-Known Member

But Pony, you could overnight express them. :hobbyhors

Oh cripe, now I'm going to have to stuff them and get the :eek: 'look' from DH.

9. eggladyj

eggladyj Well-Known Member

Squash bugs are the biggest pain in the ......! What I have found to be very helpful in getting rid of these guys is three fold if you go natural, or you can dust for them. I like natural so what I do is mix up about 1/2 or so cup of coffee, a drop or two of dish soap in a spray bottle and then add water. Spray the newly hatched squash bugs and watch 'em die! It only takes a sec or two, very cool stuff! The eggs must be hand picked, tedious I know, but it must be done in order to stop re-infestation. I check twice a day for eggs, morning and evening and that seems to get eggs before they hatch. For the adults what I do is get one of the kids to help me and I turn the hose on softly and then have them run the water over the stem of the plant starting from where it comes out of the ground. As they are doing this I am parting the plant gently to see inside. With a long pair of needle-nose pliers I grab the buggers as they crawl up to get out of the water! Squish, drop go for another! The adults are pretty quick so be ready to grab them. If you have alot of bugs you may be able to see them without the water, but I have found that once you get their numbers down they become harder to find, hence the water method. This method does work, you will have some damage from them for awhile, but eventually you get them down to where you at least get something to harvest. If you have cukes planted or other squashes be sure to check these as well for they will get them too! Darn things!!!

Good Luck and I hope this helps!
    Jeannine

P.S. Make sure you destroy the eggs, just putting them in the trash isn't a good idea, don't ask me why I know this :shrug: ! Also notice that the adults have an interesting smell to them when you squash (pun intended :p ) them, just like bananas!

10. ScorpionFlower

ScorpionFlower Insanity prevails

You mean there's more than squirrels and horn worms to worry about in my garden??? LOL EEK Now I"ll have to look more closely at my zuchini plants everyday. Are cucumbers also a squash??

11. bee

bee WV , hilltop dweller Supporter

cucumbers are another branch of the "squash" family. Melons and I think gourds are in there too. therefore they share pests :shrug: ...my biggie this year is the squashbugs and the cucumber beetles...japanese beetles seem to be over (or maybe they just left after the laced my pole bean leaves.) Cripes I fergot, GROUNDHOGS, now there is a pest! :grump:

12. turtlehead

eggladyj - THANK YOU for suggestions on how to deal with the squash bugs! I haven't seen the coffee suggestion anywhere but hubby drinks tons so I have a ready supply.

I've seen them on the underside of the leaves. I held an empty ice cream gallon "bucket" of soapy water (an inch or two deep) under the leaf and shook them off into my bucket. I had no idea they'd be down in the bottom stemmy part. Ugh! More work! :help:

Thanks muchly for the pointers. :cowboy:

Pony, do you want your thread back? :D

13. Pony

:confused:

It's not my thread -- it's everyone's thread who had something to share!

I learn so much here; it's the best! Not only did I learn more about the dreaded SVB, I learned more about cucurbits AND other people's gardens. :)

Ain't it grand? :dance:

Pony!

14. kentuckyhippie

kentuckyhippie Well-Known Member Supporter

this is kind of off topic but anytime you have lots of male squash blooms you can bread them and fry them so they aren't a total loss. just pull off the bloom, take the insides out, dip them in beaten egg then in cracker crumbs and deep fry

15. suburbanite

suburbanite Well-Known Member

N. Calif./was USDA 9b before global warming
    I haven't noticed any squash bugs but my hierloom chiogga's have had only male flowers while my acorns and mystery squash (from a store-bought Carnival F1 hybrid) have several fruit forming. Any thoughts?

16. Pony

I don't think it's off topic, because we are talking about squash plants, and the blooms are part of that. Also, I'm all for anything deep fried! Just have to avoid it most times because I don't have a gall bladder anymore. :(

Pony!

17. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

I've only got one zucchini so far and have 10 plants - maybe there's
    something wrong with mine too. I'll have to have a look later.

I have tons of squash though!

18. dennisjp

dennisjp dennisjp

I was in the garden yesterday for several hours on and off. Later in the evening I found a green tomato that had teeth marks on it. The bottom two were about 1/4" each and was about 3/4" from out side to outside and the top two were the same but about an inch apart and they were about 1 1/2" from the bottom two marks. And it looked like they were freshly bitten, meaning what ever it was may have been in the garden while I was there or atleast close enough to watch me coming and going. It was fairly hot and I was working about 15 to 20 min. on and off with the tiller trying to get the ground ready to replant some more beans. Boy them ROMA II's have been good this year.
    I found a tarpen out there the day before and have had some tomatoes with about a third eatten away and I thought that it may have done that, but after seeing those teeth marks I don't think so.
    Never heard of a tarpen eating tomatoes anyway, but I dang sure don't know everything. That's for sure.
    The deer ripped my garden completely apart last years in one night and I done a lot of praying they would leave it alone this year and so far, one ate some of the top out of one tomato plant and that was it, thank the Good Lord.
    It's funny because there has been tracks leading all the way up to the garden several times this year and they would stop right there.
    Any way. Any ideas about what it was that bit my tomato??????????

19. turtlehead

I have a chipmunk eating my biggest, prettiest, and ripest tomatoes. Pesky critter. Maybe that's what bit yours?

20. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

1. What's a squash bug look like?

2. Do you mean terrapin? As in turtle? Yes, they will most definately eat tomatoes.

Currently we have two wild box turtles who come to the house each morning for breakfast. They like dry cat food. It's really funny to see them lining up with the dogs, craning their necks and looking up expectantly for food.