Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
STILL not Alice
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now how do I get past the "oh, they are so cute and furry" feelings that I told myself (and everyone here) that I was NOT going to have???

Argh.

Okay, one of the does is easy enough to dislike, because she has a scary look to her eye (it's the markings, I'm sure, but hey! I'm looking for ways to avoid bonding). The other three, well...

I will probably be looking for a larger buck, as it turns out that the three larger rabbits are all does, and the buck is a Dutch, smaller than Da Girls. (Or do I pronounce that "goils"?)

In the meantime, though, they are settled in, appear to like their ration, have gotten over the noise of the airplanes, and enjoy cherry tree branches and clover.

No names, although Nick has been calling the little guy Dutch.

Pony!

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
Pony, how you get over it is to keep back a particularly cute doe every so often, since you need to have replacement does coming along, anyway.

Of course, then you have the problem of too many replacement does, but it's not as bad as keeping a whole boatload of them! ;)

Jennifer

·
STILL not Alice
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, this morning one of the does made it a little easier. Seems what I thought was being friendly was aggression.

No harm, no foul - but no warm fuzzy feelings, either. :rolleyes:

Now I'm trying to decide if I should put a plywood perch in each cage. They've been on wire, but they press themselves on the parts of the cage where it (the cage) is supported by 2x4s. Of course, I know they'd chew the plywood, but I would like them to be reasonably comfortable.

Should I start a new thread on wire vs. platform?

Pony!

·
Lost in the Wiregrass
8,844 Posts
putting a piece of plywood or even a ceramic tile is a good idea as they need someplace to rest their feet from the wire so they dont get sore hocks also a ceramic tile will help keep them cool in the heat of the summer,

also as to the getting attached part its not a bad idea to get attached to your Breeders, but not to the fryers comming up, they are the ones you need to butcher anyway not your breeders

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
I had to cull my replacement buck yesterday. Getting attached is not good even with what you think might be part af your breeding herd.
This morning one of my mini rex does attact me, while I was trying to feed her. i remember the day I go her she road all the way home on my lap, on her back like a baby. I think they are only cute or freindly when they want something. The rest of the time they are secretly planning the next attact.

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
Pony, I think you should go read them stories in the evenings. You know, to make them reasonably comfortable.

Happy rabbits = more offspring & better tasting meat

You could read Watership Down, for starters. :eek:

·
STILL not Alice
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
turtlehead said:
Pony, I think you should go read them stories in the evenings. You know, to make them reasonably comfortable.

Happy rabbits = more offspring & better tasting meat

You could read Watership Down, for starters. :eek:
You know what?? THAT is my problem!! Stupid Watership Down... I was actually thinking about it this morning on my way out to feed them! Oh, well. Sounds like a good idea to read it to them, but I won't read them the chapters about freedom and stuff. ;) Nick sings them songs he makes up. Many of the lyrics have to do with dinner plates and simmering stews. LOL!

I called the one who keeps rushing me "Mongo" like the character in Blazing Saddles. She backs off once she sniffs my hand. I can just hear Slim Pickens saying, "Here, Mongo, sniff... It's me..." So now Nick has started calling the lop crosses Mongo and Rita (MongoRita, get it?) :rolleyes:

He's calling the other two Dutch and Molly. "Dutch" I get, but Molly? Sounds like an old couple who live up the block or something, eh?

Oh, well. They are now cuddled up to a frozen jar of bean soup. I forgot to put the pop bottles into the freezer, and it's getting mighty warm out there. I don't want dinner cooked before I am ready!

I really like the idea of the tiles. Maybe I can pick some up at Home Depot this evening, if I don't have any in the basement. (Nick may have free-re-cycled them...)

THANKS EVERYONE!

Pony!

·
Registered
117 Posts
You know you could always have someone (like your neighbor) come over and slap them around a bit so when they see you they would be happy thats it's you and not your neighbor. :bdh:

·
Premium Member
5,067 Posts
My 6 rabbits are kept well in there cages. I treat them decent.I see nothing wrong with Them getting petted and treats. But these are Foundation animals to me. I Am looking to get A few more does soon. And I would like to get A few dutch crosses,I had them before About 25 years ago.

·
STILL not Alice
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Shade26000 said:
You know you could always have someone (like your neighbor) come over and slap them around a bit so when they see you they would be happy thats it's you and not your neighbor. :bdh:
:rotfl:
Too cute!

I've finally settled down -- and so have the rabbits. It's going to take some time for them to acclimate, and for me to see what they're about and all.

Meg Z, gotta tell you again: I love your tagline. I think it's going to help me when it comes time to slaughter the rabbits. It already helps me when I go out and kill the green beans, cucumbers, tomatoes, and spuds! ;)

ETA: Meg's comment was in another thread. This tells me that 1.) I have been working too long in the hot sun today, and 2.) since I only got 5 hours of sleep last night, I had better get my buns to bed -- and I'm not talking about the rabbits!

Pony!

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
Pony said:
Nick sings them songs he makes up. Many of the lyrics have to do with dinner plates and simmering stews. LOL!
I only have two does and I keep up with who is who by marking them with food coloring on their neck. So we have "Blue Bunny", "Green Rabbit", and "Stew" (the buck).

Blue Bunny better get busy having some kits or she's gonna get culled and one of Green Rabbit's girl kits will be promoted to Blue Bunny status. I tell her so, but she doesn't care. I don't think she speaks English.

Nick might be wasting his time with all his serenades, especially if they're in English.

·
Working toward the dream
1,008 Posts
turtlehead said:
I only have two does and I keep up with who is who by marking them with food coloring on their neck. So we have "Blue Bunny", "Green Rabbit", and "Stew" (the buck).

Blue Bunny better get busy having some kits or she's gonna get culled and one of Green Rabbit's girl kits will be promoted to Blue Bunny status. I tell her so, but she doesn't care. I don't think she speaks English.

Nick might be wasting his time with all his serenades, especially if they're in English.
Good idea... LOL We have 4 NZW's, the does are Eeney, Meeney, Miney... and, (you guessed it!) the buck is Moe!

Kitty

·
STILL not Alice
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When I got the rabbits, Molly and Buck were together in the same cage, and MongoRita were together in another cage.

I do not know if Buck has mated Molly, but noticed he tried to mount her today. I believe the message she conveyed was, "Not now, I have a headache" (or something to that effect).

Dutch is now in his own Bachelor Bunny pad.

ALL this intro is to say, I wonder if Molly doe was serviced some time in the past 30 days, if she is pregnant, wonder if I should actually attempt to palpitate...

I should just probably go out there and try it. But it's hot and I don't want to upset the buns too much.

Must say, though, they are certainly lots happier today, and very inquisitive regarding their surroundings.

Pony!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts