Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Duchess of Cynicism
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fairs are coming up-- and I HAVE to make things as simple and easy as possible for the Amish kid who will be coming to feed and water the rabbits--

my Checklist

Fill the 50 gallon water tank
Make sure 100 pounds of feed purchased and in bins
3 bales of GOOD hay available

ID labels on EVERY cage and pen, with feeding instructions on them, as well

Feeding instructions by feed bins

Wire in extra feed and water containers

Special needs animals ID further
Fill syringes with possible needed medications for those animals, in the proper doses
higher doses of long term antibiotics this week for abcessed doe.

PHONE NUMBERS-- My Cell, Brother's work and cell, the specialty vet( like my brother will take a critter to the vet- yeah, RIGHT)

store the ice bottles in neighbor's freezer, let brother know they are there

Post warning signs of heat stress and what to do--

Show brother where I am getting the water, so he doesn't have to worry about remembering to haul more from town....

Have all cages and under them cleaned- DE spread, fresh fly bait out, so that BigBrother can't complain about any prior buildup.

Am I set? Anything else really important?

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
I don't remember what kind of watering system you use but if you use the kind with the metal tube and ball, instruct the kid to bounce his finger against the end of the tube a couple of times to ensure it's letting water out and isn't clogged.

·
Duchess of Cynicism
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Brenadette-- I purposely made sure there would NOT be any litters due---

Turtlehead- given the recent heat issues, everyone is currently using multiple plastic storage containers wired to the walls of the cages-- There seems to be less stress evident over the past few days that way ( well, except for today-- lost another one, an adult)

With today's death, I am leaving some B Complex tablets dissolved in water, so that everyone can have some every day. I have this fear of returning to an empty rabbit yard. I got finished separating the junior boys and girls a couple hours ago. Good thing, too-- one of the boys, (just under three months) has a very well developed set of genitals showing up--something he didn't have at the beginning of the month!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.