OK, Whats a Pickling Onion?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by ceresone, May 9, 2006.

1. ceresone

ceresone Well-Known Member Supporter

Any small onion?

2. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

That's what I use: the onions that don't get up to full size, usually smaller than a golfball.

Pony!

3. chuckhole

chuckhole Born city, love country

They are called Pearl Onions in the grocery stores.

4. Ann Mary

Ann Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

I saw lisbon bunching onions that said they were good for pickling. You plant them close together to keep them small-pearled onions in the store.

5. chuckhole

Do you can with Malt Vinegar? Any ideas or recipes? Do share........my DW would be mad if I did not ask. I have not used Malt Vinegar much since I was a boy and my Dad took us out to Alfies Fish-n-Chips (long gone) after the sailboat races. It is amazing how something can bring back memories.

6. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm totally with Rose on this one - pearl onions are for sissies! lol

7. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

I prefer malt vinegar for almost any pickles. I even use it to make my own mayonnaise. It has that little extra 'kick' to it that I like. In fact, I was the mother of teenagers before I discovered that you could actually cook with white vinegar!!

8. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Whoa! My real pearl onions are NOT for sissies! For the REAL pearl onions of the past and present, the Northerners had their choice of either Egyptian or Catawissa topsets. Southerners had various smaller topsetting types which produced a pickling size bulb when they went dormant. Those are all still around but almost too labor-intensive for today's market. Only produced now for very specialized markets. Now, any small boiler onion is considered a pearl onion and thus capable of being pickled. Commercially, White Ebenezer is also a popular one for pickling. (You all probably know it better as the generic white onion set that you can buy very cheap in bulk.) Certain shallots would also be of proper size for pickling and with a different kick. Check out where the real pearl onions come from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pearl_onion

I've never tried pickling my Egyptian and Catawissa topsets since I have been barely able to produce enough to satisfy everyone else's requests for them. With many of nickel size or larger, should be perfect for pickling. Perhaps it's time that I enjoyed more of them!

Martin

9. chuckhole

Good information from everybody. Thanks so much. It is funny how different foods can trigger memories from our childhood, travels and experiences. The tastes and smells have a way of keeping us in touch.

I am going to try a few different types of onions this winter.

10. susieM

susieM Well-Known Member

Malt vinegar is very good on fries. Or on a chip butty...sliced fresh bread, sweet butter, fries, and vinegar.

11. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

LOL Martin, even that site says pearl onions are used as cocktail onions and everyone knows that compared to a real pickled onion, cocktail onions are for sissies! I grow catawissas and I wouldn't class those as a pearl onion at all - my topsets get big and I have been eyeing them as potential picklers.