Ok, what am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by trtalbott, Oct 11, 2004.

1. trtalbott

trtalbott Well-Known Member

I can not get my solar fencer to work. It just doesnt shock very hard. And one of my llamas has learnd to just crawl under. I have an 8' copper ground rod with 12 gauge wire running to it. I should be able to get a charge from that, minus the fence for now, right? This is driving me insane! maybe the fencer is just bad.

2. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

.................Have you tested your voltage with a testor? You could have a loose connection , or a defective transformer . Also , check the battery voltage if your system uses a 12vdc battery . Go buy yourself a $10 voltage test meter from home depot or a auto parts store and get educated about basic electricity!!! ..........fordy.... :eek: :)

3. trtalbott

Thanks for all your help! My $80 votage tester works just great for me. We're not talking about "basic electricity" we're talking about a brand new fencer that is a piece of junk and is going back to the company. Again , thanks for being so kind.

4. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

If it isnt a weed problem shorting fence to ground,and wires are properly isolated from ground,it should rattle your teeth.Taking it back sounds like a good plan.
    BooBoo

5. trtalbott

The company won't do anything for me. It's just over a year, and the repair cost they want to charge would be the same as buying a new one. The battery that came with it tests with sufficient wattage. I even bought a new battery to see if this worked. I guess I'm out a $100. I'm running more strands of wire tommorow to supplement for any gaps. We've lived without fencer before, who needs 'em anyhow :rolleyes: right?

6. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

wehad a similar problem years ago.no idea how wet the ground iswere you are but we put three grounds between the runs of a septic bed for one fencer.solid house grounds with soldered conection8feet in the ground . to me it sounded over kill but it did work!even soaking the ground helps .if they get the idea they can go through then no amount of shock will keep them in. also heard of running a ground wire on the fence .what volts is the fencer putting out?what brand?

7. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Fence chargers usually work, or don't work, with little in between. With the fence disconnected from the main hot wire take an output reading. To power a fence adequately you should have a reading of something less than 10,000 volts. Anything less is a defective or low quality charger. Then connect the fence. See how much the reading dropped. If the drop is significant then you have a short in the fence or you have too much fence for the charger.