ok to use privet as "trellis"?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by hisenthlay, Dec 31, 2005.

1. hisenthlay

hisenthlay a.k.a. hyzenthlay

Ok, here's another space-saving question--is there any reason I shouldn't plant things like cucumbers and pole beans and train them up the east side of a 8' privet hedge? Will they grow well? Will they hurt the hedge? I imagine something like pumpkins would be too heavy, but could smaller vining veggies work?

Thanks!

2. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

I've seen privet used as a tree. It'll get about 15 feet tall and get white flowers that have a fragrance. Trim it or train it. Easy to grow.

3. hisenthlay

Oh, sorry, I mean I'm thinking about putting pole bean/cuke/etc. plants on a hedge I already have. The hedge is about the length of 2 midsize cars, and it must be at least 8' tall--too high for me to trim with the extended trimmer even while standing on my little ladder.

4. dlangland

dlangland dlangland

The thing to me is you would have to consider the relation of your existing hedge in terms of sunlight, and then there's the competition for water. Cucs can get pretty weighty. I have tried them over the yrs. on an assortment of fences, wires, trellis...Beans, might work, but may not be the easiest to pick that way. I would think more in terms of putting up some steel fence posts directly in front of your existing hedge with some type of wire as support if you aren't concerned about seeing your hedge. You could possibly maximize space, if that is your intention, using a more vertical tripod effect as a means of growing support. Just a thought. Deb

5. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

I agree with Deb on this too. Another consideration is if the cukes etc do grow inside the hedge, the fruit would get punctured as it grows and decay right on the vine if you try to grow it into an existing hedge. I wish that maple seedlings had as much trouble growing thru privet.

6. chris30523

chris30523 Well-Known Member

you can not kill privet hedge easily.I have been trying for years to get rid of mine.If you want more I have it.

7. hisenthlay

Thanks again, guys. It sounds like cukes are out. I might put in some bean plants if I have extra, and consider it to be a cheap experiment. If I get any beans out if it, I'll consider it a bonus. I was thinking about getting yellow or purple beans, which should make them easier to find hiding in the hedge. I'm just desperate for sunny space here. I know bamboo tripods would be much better than the hedge--I'm going to do some of those, too, for sure. I'm not toooo worried about killing the hedge--it was chock full of vining weeds when we moved in here, and that didn't seem to hurt it too much. Maybe I'd better just start finding ways to cook up those weeds and eat them!