OK to use aluminum for pasteurizing?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by mailman, Nov 13, 2004.

1. mailman

mailman Miniature Cattle

Hello, I have a chance to purchase a milk pasteurizer. It has a one gallon bucket with lid. The bucket is made of aluminum. Is aluminum ok to use or must I hold out for the more expensive stainless steel?
    Thank you in advance.....Dennis

2. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

I can tell you, as a medical professional, that the medical community is looking very hard at aluminum and Teflon as the prime agents of onset with dementia related non traumatic cerebral disorders (Alzheimer’s).

Personally, we have removed all aluminum and Teflon from our lives as much as possible (can’t tell restaurants how to cook their food).

3. mailman

mailman Miniature Cattle

4. Julia

Julia Well-Known Member

And speaking practically, aluminum does not hold up to the dairy cleansers and acids that you need to keep dairy utensils clean. It pits, the pits hold microscopic amounts of milk which then sour and cause flavor and keeping problems with each successive batch of milk.

That's why the authorities demand stainless steel only in the dairy regs. Aluminum just will not hold up to use.

5. geminigoats

geminigoats Well-Known Member

I wouldn't use anything aluminum at all for the very reasons mentioned. Stainless holds up forever and is cost-effective and durable too. Plus I imagine after awhile under heat it would cause a bad tasting milk too.

Bernice