Ok to set composter on concrete instead of ground?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by hisenthlay, Mar 20, 2005.

1. hisenthlay

hisenthlay a.k.a. hyzenthlay

Hi all,

I have a smallish yard, and I'm trying to maximize my planting space. I have an 18 cubic foot single bin plastic composter, and I was wondering if there's any reason not to move it onto the concrete pad next to my house, instead of on the bare ground where it is now. Do you think there would be drainage problems? Would I have compost runoff seeping into my basement (the walls are limestone I think--they sweat in the summer)? Would the composting process be slowed?

Thanks!

2. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Is your bin open at the bottom? I'm assuming it is. Can you get something to set it up on, like some concrete pavers? Leave some gaps for air to get between them and the excess liquid to drain. Otherwise you can end up with an odor problem. You also might want to put a few earthworms in it, if it doesn't get too hot.

3. hisenthlay

Thanks, that's good advice. It is open on the bottom, so I'll try doing what you said. We've been thinking about introducing some worms, too. If we move it next to the house it'll mostly be in shade, so I don't think it'll get too hot.

Thanks again.

4. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

I wouldn't. It's going to leak and what leaks out is great fertilizer. I'd move it around to areas of your garden where something isn't growing at the moment. That way you would benefit from the compost "tea." Also, what leaks out will stain the concrete and might attract flies. If the composter is sitting on soil, it's not a problem.

5. hisenthlay

Hmmmm. Ok, I guess I'll have to give this some more thought. I know it does good things to the ground near it--last year I had tomatoes by it and they produced like crazy for months. The only reason I want to move it is that this is my first full growing season with a yard of my own, and I'm going a little overboard with wanting to make every square inch productive. It's not much, but I'm determined to turn in into a little homestead anyway! Then again, I'm not too interest in attracting flies or bad smells....

Thanks for the input :)

6. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

Screen the bottom,Put it up on some posts and grow lettuce underneath it :D

7. hisenthlay

Hey, there's an idea...
    :)

8. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a plastic bin that I got oh, about 20 years ago, from Ringers. I have put it on concrete before with no problem- is your bin open or closed? I don't think you have to worry much about leaching, especially if it is a closed bin- the compost should not be wet enough to leach a whole lot. I think I might have put some visqueen under the bin, too, to prevent staining, but I had no problems. In fact, having it on the concrete helped keep the fire ants from getting into it.

9. hisenthlay

My bin is open--I wonder if visqueen would be enough to prevent staining with an open bin. Staining isn't my biggest concern, though, because we eventually want to tear up this concrete path and replace it soon anyway (it's graded towards the house, and funnels all the rain inside...). But I think you're right--the compost doesn't seem to get too wet.