OK Then, What would I get?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by ceresone, Dec 9, 2006.

1. ceresone

ceresone Well-Known Member Supporter

I always plan numerous kinds of tomatoes, theres always just one more to try. all heirlooms. and, i dont have time to hand polinate and bag blooms. my question--if i save seeds, for myself only, will i get edible tomatoes? i'll have paste type, mostly stripe big ones, with pink oxheart, and a big red slicer to round it off.i know, i should get a mixed up bunch of seeds-but what i'm wondering, if i just save my own, will all be edible? or revert back to something non-edible?

2. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Inasmuch as tomatoes have always been edible, they can not revert back to something non-edible! Nor will they revert back to some tiny pea-sized thing unless you were actually starting with the so-called currant tomatoes. Examples: A beefsteak slicer type crossed with an oxheart will not be producing cherry tomatoes.

Also, inasmuch as every domestic variety is either a stable hybrid or a mutant of the same, and the results of 500+ years of breeding, you would be a long way from whatever gene combination the plants had originally. An example: One of the noted popular hybrids is known to have a certain lost old variety in its background. So far, nobody has been able to de-hybridize it find that old one again.

Also, you never know but what the results may be something even better than any intentional combination. All varieties not produced by deliberate hybridizing are the results of either natural hybridization or genetic mutants. Early homesteaders and gardeners weren't buying the same seed every year if they could save their own. That included tomatoes. In the process, their gardens often produced their own unique varieties without even trying. As a result, we have the likes of Aunt Gertie's Gold, Aunt Ginny's Purple, Aunt Ruby's German Green, and so on. All were from originally starting with something else.

Martin

3. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

We have saved plants that came up volenteer in the garden. Some of these were a cross between paste tomatoes and large slicer types. They produced well shaped round tomatoes a bit smaller than a tennis ball. They yielded really well, and the tomatoes had good flavor. The only negative thing we noticed was the small size.