Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i had a trailer burn a few months ago and am left with a temparary pole and dissconnect. still hot to the meter. but no elec to garage. garage was tied through trailer. so what i got is i think if memory serves me is 2/0 wire leaving the dissconnect and buried and of course coming up again where trailer used to be. and 2/0ught leaving garage buried then coming up again where trailer used to be. can i just splice these 2 together and flip the switch? i know several feet on each end will have to be replaced but am unsure of the best way to do the underground splice. i am by no means an electrician, but have done a fair amont of wiring and even had it pass inspection in a pinch. the garage is already set up with 100amp breaker box and had been in use a few years. would like to do this without all the fuss and troulble of calling out the elec. company. figuring (hoping) the dissconnect should keep it safe till the proper splice is done. i could replace the entire length but thought if the splice would work, it would keep me that much further away from the hots. i do have an electrician friend, but hate to worry him if this is pretty simple.

any ideas?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,874 Posts
You would need (2) waterproof splices. The patch between should be burried, as well as the splices - probably 18-24" would likely be code, depends on local.

The box in your garage may need the neutral/ ground bars configured differently, if it was set up as a sub-box to your main trailer box, it might need a little attention to keep the ground working as it should.

As I'm not an electrician, I hate to say more than that, or I look stoopid & lead you wrong! :)

--->Paul
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
BrushBuster said:
i had a trailer burn a few months ago and am left with a temparary pole and dissconnect. still hot to the meter. but no elec to garage. garage was tied through trailer. so what i got is i think if memory serves me is 2/0 wire leaving the dissconnect and buried and of course coming up again where trailer used to be. and 2/0ught leaving garage buried then coming up again where trailer used to be. can i just splice these 2 together and flip the switch? i know several feet on each end will have to be replaced but am unsure of the best way to do the underground splice. i am by no means an electrician, but have done a fair amont of wiring and even had it pass inspection in a pinch. the garage is already set up with 100amp breaker box and had been in use a few years. would like to do this without all the fuss and troulble of calling out the elec. company. figuring (hoping) the dissconnect should keep it safe till the proper splice is done. i could replace the entire length but thought if the splice would work, it would keep me that much further away from the hots. i do have an electrician friend, but hate to worry him if this is pretty simple.

any ideas?

Questions:

Is the wire underground feed cable {uf cable} or does it run in conduit?

Are you sure it ends in the 100 amp breaker in the garage and not the main lugs?

At the trailer site can you tell which are the hot wires ? the neutral? the ground? For both sets of wires?

Have you a way of testing the wires before you start working on a connection splice to make sure they are not hot? Do you have a voltage tester?

If you are not sure about any of these questions--- call up your friend tell him you 'll have his favroite beer on ice if he'll come out and tell you the safe way to do it. Good beer and bsing with a good friend not a bad way to spend a saturday afternoon.

kurt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
aaatraker said:
Questions:

Is the wire underground feed cable {uf cable} or does it run in conduit?
no it's not in conduit

Are you sure it ends in the 100 amp breaker in the garage and not the main lugs?
i ran the wire from the trailer breaker box off a 80 amp breaker (the only 1 i could find at the time) to the panel box in the garage to the main lugs and put in a 100 amp main breaker and wired everything in the garage just as you would as if the power was coming staight from the pole

At the trailer site can you tell which are the hot wires ? the neutral? the ground? For both sets of wires?
yes, the 2 hots have a yellow stripe on them and the ground don't for both sets of wires...... don't think there is a nuetral at that point..... well maybe i'm calling the nuetral ground because if i remember, that wire does tie in to the nuetral bar in the panel box and a plain copper ground wire leaves the box and ties to a ground rod outside

Have you a way of testing the wires before you start working on a connection splice to make sure they are not hot? Do you have a voltage tester?
yes

If you are not sure about any of these questions--- call up your friend tell him you 'll have his favroite beer on ice if he'll come out and tell you the safe way to do it. Good beer and bsing with a good friend not a bad way to spend a saturday afternoon.
yep, this is true
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,874 Posts
BrushBuster said:
aaatraker said:
Questions:

At the trailer site can you tell which are the hot wires ? the neutral? the ground? For both sets of wires?
yes, the 2 hots have a yellow stripe on them and the ground don't for both sets of wires...... don't think there is a nuetral at that point..... well maybe i'm calling the nuetral ground because if i remember, that wire does tie in to the nuetral bar in the panel box and a plain copper ground wire leaves the box and ties to a ground rod outside
I'm thinking having your friend over would be a good option at this point. A nuetral wire has a very important function, and a ground wire has a very important function. Confusing the 2, or omiting one, is not to code & a really bad practice. Could be life threatening.

Not trying to rag on you. I take a lot of shortcuts in my life, I think most of us do. My risk, my stuff, my problem if things go wrong. The problem is, the electric hookup will look & act ok, and some poor unsuspecting person trusting it was done to code will get hurt 10 years from now by your omission. That's the bad part of jerry-rigged electrical hookups. It bites the innocent people. As people continue to do this, no one will be allowed to do any electrical work any more.

--->Paul
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
rambler said:
I'm thinking having your friend over would be a good option at this point. A nuetral wire has a very important function, and a ground wire has a very important function. Confusing the 2, or omiting one, is not to code & a really bad practice. Could be life threatening.

Not trying to rag on you. I take a lot of shortcuts in my life, I think most of us do. My risk, my stuff, my problem if things go wrong. The problem is, the electric hookup will look & act ok, and some poor unsuspecting person trusting it was done to code will get hurt 10 years from now by your omission. That's the bad part of jerry-rigged electrical hookups. It bites the innocent people. As people continue to do this, no one will be allowed to do any electrical work any more.

--->Paul
hmmm..... you make a very good point, hadn't thought about it that way before.
guess i'll go ahead and give him a call.

thanks fer tha input fellers!
 
U

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
BrushBuster said:
hmmm..... you make a very good point, hadn't thought about it that way before.
guess i'll go ahead and give him a call.

thanks fer tha input fellers!
your welcome, have your friend take a good look at that panel in your

shed. it now becomes the only panel feed from the pole and as such


becomes a main panel and must be bonded and grounded as a main,


have him check the wire sizes

kurt
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top