ok something is just not working

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by myrandaandkids, Dec 18, 2006.

1. myrandaandkids

myrandaandkids Well-Known Member

we have just started with rabbitsin august with a satin doe and 3 kits(they turned out to all be does) and a silverfox buck(full grown) now the buck has been with the doe several times, she did have one new litter of 8 all born dead in september, but nothing since and we dont understand why they were born dead, her 3 kits from when we first bought her are now five months old and have been with the buck several times also and have produced nothing, what is the problem?

2. Jennifer L.

Jennifer L. Well-Known Member Supporter

For one thing the young does may be too young yet. Did you see each of them bred? If you did and they didn't "catch" it's probably that they are too young and still growing. And as applies to the older doe as well, if they are in winter light levels (no lighting) then this is going to affect them, too. You might try adding a light if you don't have one.

As for the ones born dead, it could be something disturbed the doe or she didn't have what she liked for nesting material, etc.

In any case, hang in there and I'm sure you'll get somewhere soon with them.

Jennifer

3. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

Yes, I'd agree with Jennifer's diagnosis. :) They really do need about 12 hours of light to reproduce well. I DON'T have lights in my barn and we've been having an awful time trying to get does bred.

You mentioned that the Satin doe lost a litter in Sept. Did she build a nest in the nest box or scatter them across the cage floor?

Hang in there! If nothing else works, things will probably pick up in the spring. :)

4. myrandaandkids

myrandaandkids Well-Known Member

she did build a nest and pull fur for that litter, they were all together when we found em, nothing visably wrong with them, no idea why they died