OK , so we are getting goats...

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Mr.Hoppes, Nov 3, 2006.

1. Mr.Hoppes

Mr.Hoppes Reverend

is it true : :shrug:

they only "are in season" twice a years ? Spring and fall? :nerd:
    I was thinking of four females set up quartly so One would be bread every 4 months. With One Male :dance:

A Buck is a unFIXED male?
    A Billy is a Fixed male?

Why would you want a Fixed male? uless as a pet or for Meat ?:doh:

Please excuse my forwarrdness.

2. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

3. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

Most goats (Swiss breeds) are seasonal breeders, usually September through January, although January could be pushing it. The "African" breeds like Nubians and Nigerian Dwarfs (and Boers?) are year-round breeders, although they won't be too active in the hot summer months. If you breed once a year, the standard lactation is 10 months with 2 months off - you dry them up before they kid, to let their body build up reserves again.

A buck is an intact male (also called a "billy" - somewhat derogatory depending on who you talk to). A "wether" is a castrated male. They can be used for companion (if you only wanted one doe), meat or draft (packing, harness), or they make nice pets. :)

Feel free to ask away - there's no such thing as a dumb question, only dumb mistakes - and we all had to start somewhere!

You might want to check out your local library for books on raising goats - Storey's Guide Books are a very good series to start with.

And welcome!

4. Mr.Hoppes

Mr.Hoppes Reverend

Fiasco is a cool site

Ok we started with our own children and bigger property, and then the chickens Now it's goats, IS THERE an ORDER to what's NEXT?

5. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Only the order you create...through knowing what your needs are, what your resources are, and matching them up! For every species of livestock that you become interested in, do what you're doing now with the goats...research, ask questions, and get set up, before you get the animals. You'll be happier, they'll be healthier, and you won't get in over your head!

My husband and I have a rule...only one new species allowed in any calendar year. That gives us time to adjust to a full year's schedule, before we commit to something new. It also gives us a full year to research what we might want to try next! We have a list of critters we want to try. Each year we look at our resources and decide if we can this year, and if so, what? Last year we added sheep. This coming year? We aren't feeling so ambitious this year...we'll be adding just a few quail!

Start small in each new thing, and see if you want to keep it small or grow with it.

Welcome to the forum, by the way!
    Meg

6. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

we raise cashmere goat. So we keep several wethers becasue they produce fiber that is just as good as any doe. We keep the ones that roduce the finest fiber and the best bulk. we sell the rest. for Cashmere kids that want to show, most around here start off with a doe and a wether. They have there own class.

7. PygmyLover

PygmyLover nigerian & pygmy breeder

My Oberhaslis (Diary breed) would have heat cycles from September through February. I always bred them in January or February. I only had one year when one didn't take, but she may have had other issues.

My pygmies cycle all year round.

8. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Does *can* come in season year round, though many of the full-size breeds only cycle regularly from late summer through late winter. It depends on the individual goat.

A buck is an intact male. Billy means the same thing, though some people prefer you call them bucks....I'm one of those people, I admit..... :p

A wether is a fixed male and the only reason to keep them around is to eat brush, pack goats, or pets. Or to butcher. Any wether on my place gets butchered. I keep does and bucks to do everything else that is required. :)

Good luck with your goats!!

9. PygmyLover

PygmyLover nigerian & pygmy breeder

oh another reason to have a wether is if you don't own a buck they can act as teasers. Some wethers will mount does when in heat.

I have my wether for a pet. He is such a cute little guy.......that bugger!!

10. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

If you are having surplus milk....a sucker calf is easy to do for either veal or beef. A Holstien bull calf is a good choice.---castrate and pasture/feed with goats.

11. dk_40207

dk_40207 Well-Known Member

Mr. Hoppes,

Hey! You sound like us just last year! We were so excited to start getting critters that we went from 2 dogs and a cat to over 40 animals in 1 year including chickens, rabbits, dairy goats, and a cow:) I agree that one(or teo) species in a year is probably the way to go. By the simple grace of God, we have gotten through this year--but it has been interesting to say the least!
    Maybe you could just start with a bred doe right now...get used to her before you worry about having a little herd...
    I'm going to PM you--so look out for it..
    Christina