Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my thread "does a small homesteader really need a tractor?" i got a wide variety of responses...most in favor of having a tractor...some even offered advice on obtaining one... thx to all

now, lets consider a machine that comes in at less than $30k new...it's the 35hp Nortrac bulldozer with CAT1 hitch and 6-way blade
Land vehicle Vehicle Tractor Construction equipment Agricultural machinery

and here's a video... https://tinyurl.com/ycexwqkp

so...would this thing be useful? (let's just assume i won the lottery folks, OK?)

for the refrigerator moving needs i think this would surely solve that problem...

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have had both a tractor and a skid steer here on my small farm and to be honest I don’t think I could do without either. The bobcat I have now will work circles around any tractor with a loader yet it will not till my garden in the spring or bush hog the field in the summer. Yes I know I can buy the skid steer attachments for it to do both but have you priced those lately? Much cheaper and easier to find those used for a tractor.
My advise would be buy a used tractor around 40hp first then look for a used bobcat years down the road as your homestead grows. As for a bull dozer I would just rent one as you find the need for one. My dad has two of them currently and yes I have borrowed them for work around this farm but it has been years since one has set a track on my farm. Don’t make good since to keep one on the farm full time to me. Just my two cents

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
In my thread "does a small homesteader really need a tractor?" i got a wide variety of responses...most in favor of having a tractor...some even offered advice on obtaining one... thx to all

now, lets consider a machine that comes in at less than $30k new...it's the 35hp Nortrac bulldozer with CAT1 hitch and 6-way blade
View attachment 73982
and here's a video... https://tinyurl.com/ycexwqkp

so...would this thing be useful? (let's just assume i won the lottery folks, OK?)

for the refrigerator moving needs i think this would surely solve that problem...
The mechanical are generic Chinese. If it were something I knew to be coming from the same production pool with "name brand" equipment, I would not be so concerned, but as far as I know, this is home-grown Chinese. I would have concerns about both quality and parts availability.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Wont work at all so just have them deliver it at my house.
The mechanical are generic Chinese. If it were something I knew to be coming from the same production pool with "name brand" equipment, I would not be so concerned, but as far as I know, this is home-grown Chinese. I would have concerns about both quality and parts availability.
They are tough little buggers great for building roads leveling ground and even light timbering.Used one to brushhog a hillside that a tractor couldnt do but at the top and bottom had some turf damage from tracks sliding in the turn.To slow for plowing or disking does run post hole digger and pig pole. parts are easy to find circle g tractors ,Keno tractors are 2 I can remember.The unit I was using had a little over 2000 hrs on it and except fluids and filters they had done nothing to it .For building roads in the hills and gullies you cant beat the 6 way blade.
But to better answer your question Its a nice little dozer but a dozer isnt a tractor just like a tractor isnt a dozer both are specialized pieces of equipment made to do certain jobs.youll have a lot less headaches if you follow the simple rule "RIGHT TOOL FOR THE RIGHT JOB"

·
Registered
389 Posts
for the price of that counterfeit dozer you could buy a very nice 450 john deere dozer and a very nice ford 4000 tractor with a loader on it. both super usefull tools on a farm of any size.

or you could get a nice used backhoe and a tractor. a backhoe is the most incredibly usefull tool a farmer could ever own. but it wont mow weeds.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Ive run both and for a small farm or small to medium landscaping or road building I would pick the Nortrack every time
Its not counterfeit its smaller but does its job.

Reactions: jerry arnold

·
Uncertified Master Chief Village Idiot
2,105 Posts
I've heard good things about them...I've heard terrible things. I think you ought to get one, do some videos on it, make millions on YouTube, and retire. Seems like a legitimate idea!;)

·
Registered
13,384 Posts
Every little homestead is different. I have neighbors with dogs and cats who don't garden or do much land management. That would be a 30k snow shovel.
The front blade looks fixed, so I don't suppose you will be using a grapple, snowblower or fork blades.
Can't load bales.
There is no definitive best machine because no farm is the same.

·
An Ozark Engineer
13,451 Posts
I could have a lot of fun with that!

Reactions: jerry arnold

·
Registered
495 Posts
... that's a bulldozer... Kinda the wrong thing unless you want to cut roads and flatten building sites all day. Can't really pick stuff up with that blade. If you want to move a fridge with it itd be pushing it around on the ground.

Not trying to knock it just a different tool, kinda like you needed a cherry picker and they sent a steamroller instead.

Nortrac has some little tractor with loader and backhoe combos right? That's useful for the homestead.

Or like someone else said above, buy a used backhoe and farm tractor for that cash.

·
Registered
430 Posts
As long as we are spending,lottery money,why not look at a mini excivator? I understand you have to play the lottery to win anything in the lottery. Oh well, guess I will never!

·
Premium Member
43,645 Posts
I used to own a little jd40 crawler with a loader bucket. That thing was handy as pockets on a shirt for lots of jobs but was no replacement for my little to20 Ferguson tractor. The tractor would plow and disc the garden, cut, rake and bale hay, cultivate the garden, spray the fields etc. the dozer of course was the bomb for lifting heavy stuff, moving dirt, grubbing stumps and other dozey chores.

·
Premium Member
3,210 Posts
I'm fairly confident that purchasing one of those little Nortrac dozers would be a very bad investment. It's not big enough to do any kind of real dozer work and when things start breaking you will be lucky to be able to find the parts to fix it. Rent a little CAT, JD or Case dozer or hire a local excavator if you need some dozer work done.

·
Premium Member
25,488 Posts
Your saying, (Im dreaming I won the lottery). Is that supposed to help us on trying to find a particular tractor that you CAN ACTUALLY AFFORD?? Tell us what ACTUAL money you can spend on a tractor so we can think about what might be best for you. I can tell you that smaller used tractors are many times the same or of more cost than a larger tractor.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts