Ok lets talk Oklahoma

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Firethorn, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Firethorn

Firethorn Well-Known Member

We may finaly have decided on moveing to Oklahoma. Someone had pmed me that lives there but I can not remimber who it was.

It is not the mountains, but anything is beter than the city of Dallas and surrounding erea.

do you get snow much there?
    I knou you have state tax there. How is that?
    I here you also have tax on food?
    Growing season?
    How do you grow a good garden in all that clay?

Our question list is a good foot long.
    Hopefully someone can help us.

Thanks, Mrs C.

2. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

Can't really answer your questions, but there ARE indeed mountains in SE Oklahoma (Kiamichi wilderness area). Closest stream trout fishing to Dallas there is. We recently discovered the Broken Bow area and it has quickly become one of our favorites for short weekend trips.

3. okiemom

okiemom Well-Known Member

It is not the mountains, but anything is beter than the city of Dallas and surrounding erea.

S.E. OK has some pretty steep areas ( its not Colorado but it is not Kansas eighter)
    do you get snow much there?

S.E- no, it typically stays up to 10deg warmer than N.E.( north of Tulsa) The panhandle is another story. It is nore like the foothills to the rockies. It can get very nasty out there. It has weather like New mexico. Blizzard conditions can occure because the constant wind.

I knou you have state tax there. How is that?
    Avarage I guess, but I don't think it goes to anything important like schools :no: :waa: :rolleyes: :eek:

I here you also have tax on food?
    Yes

Growing season?
    South is around zone 7 to 6 in the N.E. Don't remember what the pandle is.
    South can be/is sand, central is RED CLAY (heck on carpets) and N.E is Gray clay.

How do you grow a good garden in all that clay?
    Lot and lots of manure and organic matter

Our question list is a good foot long.
    Hopefully someone can help us.

Hopefully, This helps. Oklahoma is a good place to live and raise kids. The problem is mainly finding gobs or being good at a little of everything to get by.
    I was raised in OKC, went to school in Stillwater (OSU) and now live N. of Tulsa. I have been lucky to travel many parts of this state and others in this country and love to visit and still love to come home to Oklahoma. Thanks, Katharine

4. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

5. okgoatgal2

okgoatgal2 Well-Known Member

state tax is high, i don't know the percent, but when i was married we got refund from fed and still had to pay more state. sales tax is from 8 or so up to 9.75 depending on where, and you pay on EVERYTHING. we get more ice than snow.
    the wind blows. a lot.
    there's usually not much regulation on building etc out in the rural areas.
    some of the people are accepting of outsiders. usually the ones who've left the state and for some reason come back to it.
    i'll stop now. ask more questions :D

6. thebeav

thebeav Well-Known Member

The only thing I know about Oklahoma is, they stunk up the Orange Bowl last night.

7. healing herbals

healing herbals Pam in OK

I live in Tulsa, my favorite part of the state, tho is the Kiamichi Mts. Broken Bow is pretty to visit (or trout fish), but there are no jobs there. I lived there, so I know. It just depends on what you want from the place you live, as to where you live. The easiest way to garden is with raised beds. Tulsa has lots of activities and if you want to homeschool, this is a great state to live in :D

Pam

8. Firethorn

Yes we home school. I had been woundering how that would go there. I hate constant wind we get a lot of it in dallas. So I need to make sure we have a ton of trees. Do you guys have fire ants? When I was little we lived in hydro , I dont remimber much other than I liked it. We also lived in Clinton for a bit and next to tinker air force. but again I was little . We just want a better life for our childern than that of the city. My husband is a welder, a verry good one.

Mrs C.

9. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I've been living just south of Clinton since last spring, in Cordell. Nice little town and the folks are pretty friendly. Kind of windy but the weather seems ok. Couldn't tell you a lot about it since I've not been here long. Real estate prices are pretty good too. There doesn't seem to be a lot of smaller farms going on the market. Try looking in realtor.com and click on Weatherford on the map search. I'm renting in town. Many people have gardens and there are more roosters around here than mine. There are horses across the st and llamas couple blocks down. The whole town surrounded by wheat fields. No Walmart here.

10. mike3367

mike3367 lost in my own mind

i live in ada myself, just rember you will be taxed on everything here as the tax base is so small here. homeschooling is easy here did it for last 2 years myself. just missed the ice storm here, does get cold but only get messy every 4 or 5 years or so, the jobs arent to bad lots of the lower to middle range here ,getting a new home depot this year just be ready for all the crimson and white and dotn fly the texas long horns and you'll like it here

11. Boxermom

Boxermom Active Member

I live near Drummond, which is near Enid, which is near NOTHING! But it is home and I wouldn't change a thing. We are in the NW part of the state, just as you head out toward the panhandle. Guymon is 3 hours from us. The wind blows, blows and blows. Currently we have about an inch of ice on the ground. Two years ago we had an ice storm that took out our lights for 12 days. So needless to say, NW OKlahoma is not for the faint-hearted.

I manage to grow a good garden every year because we live on a wheat farm and I have alot of topsoil from the fields blow into my south yard.

Sales tax in this area is 8.3% and we are taxed on just about everything. But gas seems to be cheaper up here than in other areas.

Crime is pretty low. Drummond hasn't had a murder in 100 years. The kids do get bored and tip a cow now and then. :waa:

Sometimes I know why the government gave away this land 100 years ago in the land run! But like I said, it is home and you couldn't blast me out of here.

Did I mention that the wind blows???

12. Cyngbaeld

I don't think anybody mentioned that the wind blows here. :haha:

13. Firethorn

Alright, so does the "wind blows" all over Oklahoma? There are Mountains. GOOD Yipy Yipy Yipy! Tell me more. PLEASE!

14. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

I've never lived in Oklahoma,but have been all over it.Seems like a mixture of Kansas and Arkansas.I really like it there looks like a lot of fun.

big rockpile

15. JackieA

JackieA Well-Known Member

[QUOTE=Firethorn]Alright, so does the "wind blows" all over Oklahoma? There are Mountains. GOOD Yipy Yipy Yipy! Tell me more. PLEASE![/QUOTE]

Sometimes it blows and sometimes not - it's no big deal really - unless you get caught up in one of those tornados! Sometimes our winters are warm, sometimes freezing, like today its in the 20's I think. When I lived in Wichita, KS it had a terrible storm with snow etc on a Friday and I came here to Tulsa to visit that night and my friend was in shorts w/the windows open here...
    JackieA

16. Cyngbaeld

When I told my family I was moving to OK they all kept telling me I would hate it because of the wind. Actually I don't think it is any worse than in CO where the wind kept blowing the mulch right out of my garden. I have noticed that no one on this street bothers to rake their leaves. Wait a day and the wind will blow the leaves to the neighbor on the south and give you the ones from the guy north of you. Next day they all blow back the other way! So I raked leaves for several days for free litter for the chicken coop. And now I've got more blowing back and forth.

17. pjd

pjd Well-Known Member

The wind depends on your property. I live between chouteau and wagoner in NE OK and my 10 acres sits below the ridges in the river bottom. I can look to the top of the native pecan trees and the wind will be blowing hard but down at my level it is a breeze. I have rich soil grow the best garden, but my neighbor on the next 10 acres had to haul in dirt for a yard! Where ever you go in OK, make sure you evaluate the property you buy, because it varies from one yard to the other. I got lucky because I was completely ignorant of land when we bought this and had already planted a garden when I met my neighbors and they started telling me how bad the ground was. But the ridge runs on three sides and then opens into a field. They are all on one side and I am on the side of the field. The trees and plants are even different. I love my place. I homeschool and the only problem I have had is the state law now requires all teenagers to pass the 8th grade reading test before getting a license or permit. I had to take my daughter to the public school to get tested. She passed and they gave me a certificate. If they do not take drivers ed in public school or pay $175.00 for a private course they get a limited license until they are 17. I just make sure I keep my kids tested and they can pass the profiency tests. In Chouteau they are harder on home school kids trying to get back in public school by requiring them to know more for that grade level. The elementary principal hates homeschoolers and tries to put them in a lower grade if they try to come back. So homeschooling can be influenced by the district you are in. I lay low, don't say anything to anyone about it, and enjoy teaching my kids! (16 and 7).

Welcome to Oklahoma!

18. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

Firethorn!!! I've pm'd you!:):)

19. PezzoNovante

PezzoNovante Well-Known Member

We have a palce in far north Atoka County. Never much noticed that the wind was a problem. I have found that on average, the temperature to be 5 degrees cooler than Dallas.

Get a map, drive up Central until you get north of Durant and hand a left. Drive a NW loop up through Coalgate then over hwy 31 east to Hwy 69 and head back down to Texas. Also drive a loop east from Dallas to Idabel then west to McAlester and back south on 75.

That's what we did when we were looking. Lots of options and the soil is decent.
    There's a fabrication plant near Coalgate that is always looking for welders. Sundowner trailers.

Land goes for between $300 an acre to $1200 an acre depending on size and frontage. Property taxes are very low compared to Dallas. When I last looked into livng there state income taxes were about 15% of AGI. Sales tax is the same as DFW.

Ada and McAlester are getting a Home Depot this year. There are no Sams or Costco.

20. Firethorn

That is the kind of blessing we need!Sounds beautiful.